Offset command multiple option

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
2434 Views, 21 Replies

Offset command multiple option

Hi,

I am trying to use the offset command multiple option.  I am getting strange results, does anyone know why?

I use the offset command, use multiple option, I type 1 then 4. The first line is offset .3335 and the second is 2.83.  I have no idea where these numbers are coming from.  I attached a jpg of the command line and the result.  What am i doing wrong?

Any help would be awesome!

Robert

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Why are you dimensioning and not using DIST command to confirm the actual distance? There is a chance your DIMSTYLE settings are off for the space you are dimensioning in.

OR... share with us your actual DWG file that you got that screenshot from please.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pen,

Thanks for response 🙂 I checked the distance and the dims are correct.  Another odd thing is everytime i try this i get different results, the error is not consistent.  I can't seem to get a good offset using the multiple option.

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
... dimensioning .... There is a chance your DIMSTYLE settings are off for the space you are dimensioning in.

I doubt that's the issue, because presumably such a result should be from either:

1)  a DIMLFAC setting other than 1, or;

2)  Dimensioning in a different UCS from that of the dimensioned objects.

In either case I would at least expect the ratio  of their intent to their result to be the same for both Offsets, but they're very far from the same.  But maybe you're aware of another kind of setting that could result in what they're seeing.

[By the way, I haven't been able to reproduce that kind of result.  I wondered about ORTHO being off as a cause, but that doesn't do it for me.  So I agree -- a sample drawing that demonstrates this behavior would be helpful, if only to narrow down whether it's a problem with the drawing file or with their AutoCAD.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hi,

I attached the drawing.  The offset command works fine as long as I don't try using the multiple option. Maybe the procedure I'm using is wrong I attached it in the dwg.

Thanks, 

Robert

Message 6 of 22
GrantsPirate

I can reproduce this following your example.  But instead of hitting return to accept the Through option, type in 1, then when you can use the multiple option and it will work as expected. 

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 7 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: GrantsPirate

@GrantsPirate wrote:

.... instead of hitting return to accept the Through option, type in 1, then when you can use the multiple option and it will work as expected. 

When you type in a distance, you don't get  the Multiple option displayed in the prompt.  Yes, it lets you Offset multiple objects, but separately selected [whether the same one repeatedly or separate objects], and all at the same distanceEDIT:  no Multiple option immediately after entering the distance, but one more step in [after selecting the object] you do get the Multiple option, but it does all at the same distance  from the previous result [in that direction -- you can go both ways].

I think they're using the Through option with Multiple sub-option in order to get the same  object [selected only once] Offset at various different distances.  @Anonymous , is that the case?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 22
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

.... I attached the drawing.  ....

It works as expected for me [Acad2019] in your drawing.  Might your Offset command possibly have been UNDEFINEd, and you have a differently-defined  replacement Offset command?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 22
RobDraw

The only way I can get this to work with the through option and varying distances is to use OSnap tracking.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

Hi,

thanks so much for looking into this.  But if i set offset to 1 then I get multiple offsets at 1 inch (like array).  I need to offset a line at 1" and another at 4" using the multiple option in the offset command.  This is a autocad exam question I stated the exact procedure that gives me a correct answer on the test, it just does not work for me in my acad.

guess its a glitch or i am still missing something. 

Take care,

Robert

Message 11 of 22
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:

i am still missing something. 

Please see the post before your last one.

Rob

Message 12 of 22
Kent1Cooper

In case it gets you around the problem, you might be interested in OffsetRunningOptions.lsp, available >here<.  It lets you change the Offset distance in the middle of an Offset command, rather than having to end  the command and start it again to set a new distance.  [It does what I wondered about before -- Undefines the native Offset command and makes its own new definition, which is why the result doesn't have all the current possibilities -- it was written under an older version that didn't have as many options in native Offset.]  But it's not a perfect solution for what you're trying to do -- you would still need to select your original object again for each new distance.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

Ok here is  the correct answer to the test question. Can anyone make it work and if so what am I missing.

Message 14 of 22
RobDraw

That "correct" answer does not work for me unless I use Object Snap Tracking as stated before.

Rob

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

me to

Message 16 of 22
Kent1Cooper

That correct answer does  work just right for me, without  Object Snap Tracking on, with the one meaningless difference that the last-mentioned Enter gets the <next object> default and puts me back to the select-object prompt, and it takes one more Enter to end the command.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 22
GrantsPirate

With through I keep getting the same error.  It is because the through option is using the location of the cursor to define the distance.  I think a better way is to use MULTIPLE first, then OFFSET.  See video attached

https://autode.sk/2R3QQTx

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 18 of 22
RobDraw

Yes, that does work for me, too.

It still makes the "correct" answer incomplete though.

Rob

Message 19 of 22
RobDraw

Now, I am confused. I thought it was working as @Kent1Cooper described but it is not working anymore. Maybe I was too precise with my cursor.

Object Snap Tracking does work, though, but I am so used to using it, it is second nature to me.

Rob

Message 20 of 22
Kent1Cooper

@GrantsPirate wrote:

... the through option is using the location of the cursor to define the distance.  ....

Only when you pick  with the mouse.  In the procedure laid out, the cursor location determines only the direction  from the source object [to which side] where the result will go, but the typed number is the distance [at least, for me].

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta