Did you mean: 

Object Snap not working with Viewports

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
DP-Mike
32862 Views, 34 Replies

Object Snap not working with Viewports

Currently, I have two drawings open. In one drawing I can snap to the midpoint, endpoint, etc... of the viewport object in all paperspace tab's. yet in the other drawing I cannot.

The drawings were started from the same template.

The profiles used are exactly the same.

The viewports are on the "VPORT" layer in both drawings, and the layer is not locked.

All the properties of the viewports in the drawings match, with exception to exact center, size and shape.

OSMODE is set to 47 in both drawings and OSNAP is on.

I have no problem snapping to any other object in paperspace (or model) space in both drawings.

I have restarted my computer, restarted CAD, recovered both drawings, opened the drawings in two different CAD session and in the same CAD session in windows.

I have researched the knowledge base for this issue and have not found a solution.

Is there some property characteristic or SetVariable I am missing?

Any solutions OTHER than dumping the "broken" drawing or copying everything to a new drawing?

Mike

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35

What is DefPoints Layer.... Might be I work on it but don't know the Technical Term....

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 22 of 35

@rushabhthakkar_910 wrote:

What is DefPoints Layer....

It's a layer that AutoCAD creates when you create a dimension. The "DEFinition POINTS" of the dimension entity go on this layer. It does not print, and it does non-standard things as @Kent1Cooper mentioned. Long ago, people used this layer for its "No Print" property, but for the last 20+ years, all layers have a Print/No Print option so there is no reason to use "Defpoints".

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 23 of 35

Oh... Thanks a Lot for Clearing my Doubt.....

I use the Print No Print Option to Hide or UnHide some Objects while Printing.... It's always Good to Learn New Things from Here.... 

Thanks and Regards,

Rushabh Thakkar.

Please use the Accept Solution button to mark any posts that provide the answer or solution. 

Likes are always welcome.

LinkedIn | Instagram | Facebook.      

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I also had the same issue.  I was pulling what s left of my hair out trying to figure it out. I then noticed that in the properties of the viewport, my visual style was set to "Conceptual". I changed it from "Conceptual", to 2D wireframe and POOF!!! it worked.

Message 25 of 35
punisher
in reply to: taituai

That's a solid @taituai .  If current layer is 'Frozen in VP' in paperspace tab, the VP wont respond to snaps.

Thanks again. 

John Evans
Autodesk Certified Professional

http://designandmotion.net
Message 26 of 35
rwrightWMDSY
in reply to: taituai

Thank you!.  I managed to viewport freeze several layers in paperspace.  Unfreezing them did the trick

Message 27 of 35
bauader
in reply to: r_d_clarke

same for me and couldn't find any solution other than creating a viewport from object as someone mentioned.

Autocad 2018 btw

Message 28 of 35
7aizur
in reply to: DP-Mike

Set the system variable OSNAPCOORD to 0.

Message 29 of 35
cadffm
in reply to: 7aizur

@7aizur  schrieb:

Set the system variable OSNAPCOORD to 0.

1. Osnapcoord is a system setting, it can not ne different in different files.

2. Offering value 0 has nothing to do with the issue

3. Value 0 is the worst setting for osnapccord (Running object snap settings override keyboard coordinate entry )

4. The Thread is already answered / solved

Value 1 is best for most users, value 2 is default,
but if you don't know, you should never set a value of 0.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 30 of 35

Hello. I put my issue here because its the closest discussion I've found. So. Totally offtopic? I disagree of that. Wel. OK. Bye

Message 31 of 35

It's usually better to start your own thread. That allows you to mark solutions as you see fit.

Message 32 of 35

Ok, got it.

Thanks!

Message 33 of 35
jthompsonWCS2Y
in reply to: DP-Mike

For whatever reason, changing the OSNAPCOORD system variable to 0 fixes this issue. Though the documentation on doesn't mention it.

Message 34 of 35
cadffm
in reply to: jthompsonWCS2Y

Hi,

1. Share a sample drawing, please -  so I can reproduce it on my side (I can't with my owns).

2. With Osnapccord=0 you fix 1 problem (I can not  confirm), but you open the problem for a million other problems (each coordinate input by keyboard)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 35 of 35

Hi. Thanks for reply. I got the 2022 version and the issue is no longer exist. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta