Did you mean: 

No Selection showing in Properties tab

58 REPLIES 58
SOLVED
Message 1 of 59
jason.bowman
32996 Views, 58 Replies

No Selection showing in Properties tab

When I do a selection in AutoCAD 2017 it is showing up in the properties as "No Selection" so I cannot change properties of multiple objects at once therefore increasing the operation of changing just the transparency of something by a hour at least?

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
pendean
in reply to: jason.bowman
Message 3 of 59
jason.bowman
in reply to: pendean

Haven't uninstalled A360 though
Message 4 of 59
-FDC-

Maybe you did select too much.

Somehow the total of selected items is limited.

Try selecting half of your drawing.

Message 5 of 59
pendean

It could be this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Proper...

Either way, the fix is this last one sadly if the tip above is not the actual problem.
Message 6 of 59
Anonymous

HI

I think you are Selected more objects than selection limits.

Due to properties Limits, it showing NO Selection.

Autocad Can Select UPTO 32767 objects at time.

If your drawing contains above 32767 objects, you need to modify all objects separately by Qselect (like first text, then line, etc..)

If your drawing contains below 32767, and properties showing NO SELECTION, See below video to set autocad properties object Limit.

HOW TO SOLVE NO SELECTION PROBLEM IN AUTOCAD

Message 7 of 59
IAA-SCO
in reply to: Anonymous

This is a stupid problem from the modern days.... How come, maximum objects of 32767???!!!!

In the "good old days" of autocad, this was never a problem!!

You should think the better computers (and programms) get.....

Autodesk: Fix this! It is annoying and the workaraound costs me a lot of time!!

Message 8 of 59
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: IAA-SCO

Hi,

>> maximum objects of 32767?

Set it to 0 and so you don't have any limitation as you can see an the help >>>click<<< and here:

20191204_142411_0001.png

>> This is a stupid problem from the modern days

Sorry, but it seems usual (in the modern days) to first blame the product in public before looking into help or simply asking if something does not work as expected.

>> Autodesk: Fix this! It is annoying and the workaraound

>> costs me a lot of time!!

Nothing to fix, at least not from Autodesk side ...

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 59
IAA-SCO
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your reply. This was helpfull.

As I think, was this the way for Autodesk to reduce crashes.... 😉

Message 10 of 59
DavidTosh
in reply to: IAA-SCO

There is another case where an on-screen selection shows highlighted objects (as few as one) but the properties panel shows "No selection." There is the additional "bug" that hitting the ESC key will not cancel the selection. So, you have some objects (doesn't matter if a single or all objects) are showing highlight and handles but you can't do anything with them.

This happens about once a week when I have been working for a long time on a drawing. I have found that saving the drawing, closing it and re-loading it will return proper interaction between the graphical highlighting and the properties panel. Perhaps a case of some internal programming resource being exhausted?

---
Tosh
Message 11 of 59
reynold.funk
in reply to: DavidTosh

Totally my problem as well. Editing tables attached to simple polylines, ONE AT A TIME. After maybe 20 or 30 edits, properties panel no longer shows properties of the item, though it is highlighted and grips shown. Esc key does nothing. If I keep on trying to select items, AutoCAD will freeze, totally nonresponsive. If I quickly save (may have to type in QSAVE), then close and reopen, I can continue. I am tired of having to do this 10-15 times a day.

Message 12 of 59
DavidTosh
in reply to: reynold.funk

Could you tell me more about:

Editing tables attached to simple polylines,

Are these AutoCAD table objects or text within a grid of lines? A don't often use actual table objects, my experience with this behavior comes after lots of text edits. (An example dwg file would be great if you can sanitize one so as not to tread on any proprietary information. I could try it out in ACAD 2021 and 2022.)

---
Tosh
Message 13 of 59
reynold.funk

These are tables I've created with Map Setup tab, Define Object Data command. Sorry, too much proprietary info on the drawings to know what I might be able to share. So, after a while of editing line/polyline Object Data, the properties palette stops updating with the data of the object selected - even though the grips of the object are highlighted. Possibly some kind of buffer overflow problem? The only way to fix the problem seems to be to save (if it isn't too late), close and reopen AutoCAD.
Message 14 of 59
Kent1Cooper

@DavidTosh wrote:

.... This happens about once a week when I have been working for a long time on a drawing. I have found that saving the drawing, closing it and re-loading it will return proper interaction between the graphical highlighting and the properties panel. Perhaps a case of some internal programming resource being exhausted?

If that's the cause, it may be the storage of a long history of Undo information that's overloaded.  I made a little DUH command [= Dump Undo History] to clear that all out, when you're at a point where you feel confident you won't want to Undo anything preceding.  It may be enough to use DUH, rather than closing and re-opening.

;; DumpUndoHistory.lsp
(defun C:DUH ()
  (setvar 'cmdecho 0)
  (command "_.undo" "_control" "_none" "_.undo" "")
  (setvar 'cmdecho 1)
  (prompt "\nDumped Undo History.")
  (princ)
)

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 15 of 59
DavidTosh

An update on my previous report:

I'm currently on AutoCAD 2021:

DavidTosh_0-1645225125579.png

And after working the better part of the afternoon with three documents open (switching often between them) I had the bug I described occur again. If I select a object with a window (or crossing window) the object highlights, the grips are visible but the Properties pallet (CTRL+1) says "nothing selected" and the ESC key won't un-select the object. Note that if I hit the Delete key, the object will be deleted.

I tried

• selecting a different profile (and back): no change.
  • selecting a different workspace (and back): no change.
  • switching to the other documents (tabs) currently open (this affected all documents.)

I then did a save-all & close all. I did not exit the application and re-opened one of the documents I was just having trouble with. At this point, the Properties pallet correctly counted the number of objects selected and everything else seemed normal.

I hadn't see this but for such a long time I was beginning to believe the AutoCAD 2021 didn't have it. 😩

Oh, well. Soon going to move to 2022 (I want to try those floating windows.)

---

Tosh

---
Tosh
Message 16 of 59
fkellogg

@Anonymous Tosh:

I have been having the same issue for three + years. Happens at least once a day.
Versions 2018, 2020, and now 2022.

Upgraded to 2022, and it was still there.

I also have an issue where I will randomly get a HARD crash with the basic "c" for "copy" command
(see another thread for this fun topic).

Boss got me a whole new PC, and I installed only what programs were required for my work.
Could have all of the Factory design Suite, but not at this time.
Installed the latest updates to my video driver and AutoCAD.

Volker Cocco has been helping me with both of these issues, but they both are still happening.
Took a whole week for them both to show up.
I have stripped my accaddoc.lsp file to the bare essentials of simple 2-3 key defun:c-type command combinations.

I use the acaddoc.lsp file also to run "-purge" for deleting all REGAPPS at startup.

It runs "audit" to find and fix any drawing errors at startup.

I just reset Autocad back to defaults through the windows start menu option.

Fingers crossed, but beginning to grow together.
Neither one of these issues affords me the option to file a crash report to Autodesk - the "copy" crash is too hard, and the "No selection" one there is no crash. At least with that one, I can save my work.
CFK

Message 17 of 59
pendean
in reply to: fkellogg

@fkellogg
>>>...Happens at least once a day....<<<
If I may ask, do you just work occasionally in AutoCAD, or does this happens only once or twice in your 6-8-10hour day in AutoCAD?

Does that also mean when you restart AutoCAD (or WindowsOS or switch drawings in the same session) the problem goes away? You said it only happen occasionally in a day.

Or are you literally resetting AutoCAD once a day?

@DavidTosh you state closing the problem file and reopening it solves the issue: this might mean something is turning it off while in a file, not the session of AutoCAD. That's odd and not repeatable here in R2021 nor R2022. Do you by chance leave PROPERTIES open, or docked, or docked and auto-hide, or on a second screen?
Do you have 3rd party add-ons?

Message 18 of 59
fkellogg

@pendean, Here are my responses to your questions:

1.   I work with AutoCAD 9 hours a day, five days a week. Commercial Architectural Millwork - Woodworking.
      The "No selection" thing seems to be a once a day thing; sometimes twice, sometimes not for a few days.
       Seems to be no trigger - I'll be working along, and then stuff quits working. Happened in the middle of a Block Edit session yesterday.

2.    The issue usually is happening across all open files - 2-3-4 open at a time. Even continues if I open a new blank file. Can draw stuff, select it, mirror it (I think), delete it, but cannot modify it in any way via grips or Properties.
       The yesterday, I closed all open files except the one in which the problem started, and that file was OK when I came back to it. I could continue with the block edit. I did, however, save and quit just to be safe.
3.    No, I do not reset AutoCAD every day. Volker suggested I reset in one of his e-mails, so I did. I had to bring back my acad.pgp, and acad.pat files, as well as my three personal Tool Palettes.

4.    I have a second screen with Properties & Tool Palettes (three tabs, for blocks, and hatches) floating/open/visible. Layers, Xref, and Insert Block, and Design Center floating/rolled up.  I yesterday decided to stop using the Block and ADC ones.
Another thing Volker suggested is that it might be a Network issue. Here at work we are on a One Drive / Sharepoint system, and all files are stored elsewhere, by year and job folders. Speed has not been an issue, unless I am trying to work in my work PC from home. Then I will copy the file local and upload when done for the day.
The No selection issue happens on my PC at home also, when working in a One Drive "Documents" folder.
Today I will copy drawings to the top of my C drive, and see if anything different happens.
NO ONE else in my office (3-4 on acad) has reported either the "No selection" issue or the "copy" command hard crash.
Good Morning, BTW, and thanks for the reply.
C. Frank Kellogg

Message 19 of 59
fkellogg

Update on that; Job files are NOT on the cloud. They are not on my desktop PC. Job files and drawings are on the in-house server.

Message 20 of 59
DavidTosh

@pendean 

I do keep the properties panel open and docked. It is not autohidden (I find it really useful and often edit attributes from the panel.)

I no longer have any third-party plugins (approx a year - or since I moved to 2022.) I do have a CUI package from a company I do contract work for - currently loaded as a workspace. That was not the case for the majority of 2020 when I was working on a different project and first took note of this situation with the previous version of AutoCAD.

@fkellogg 

I had hopes that when I move to AutoCAD 2022, the problem wouldn't appear. But, then where would we be without hope that Autodesk fixes a bug or two? 😉

My current albatross is that when I run FIND, the dialog inconsistently pops up on my main screen, the tiny laptop screen off to the side - regardless of where I moved it. Wish I could find the source to that command. Maybe I'll start another never-ending thread.

---
Tosh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta