Did you mean: 

New 2016 PDF .pc3's cause cropping

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1847 Views, 12 Replies

New 2016 PDF .pc3's cause cropping

Publishing PDFs from the SSM in AutoCAD 2015 worked fine. Now in 2016, the right edge of the sheet border on a tabloid page gets cropped off. I checked all of the new PDF .pc3 options and they all cause this. It's like an 11x17 page size with smaller margins is being used. What's going on?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
bryce.thelin
in reply to: Anonymous

Try resetting AutoCAD 2016 to defaults and then test publishing from the Sheet Set Manager. To do the reset, click Start > All Programs > Autodesk > AutoCAD 2016 > Reset Settings To Default. It will let you save your current settings first.

Are you able to plot and publish to PDF correctly outside of the Sheet Set Manager?

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 3 of 13
ToanDN

You did not happen to modify the 11x17 page margin on the previous version, did you? Try the 11x17 full bleed in 2016 and see if it helps.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for your replies. I don't believe I changed any margins in the printer properties.

I did some more testing, as I get the same behvior whether inside SSH or from the Plot dialogue. When changing from our KONICA.pc3, which calls for "11x17" as the paper size, to the AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).pc3, the paper size changes to "ANSI expand B (11x17)" and the plot preview shows the right size getting cut off by descreased margins. However, when changing from KONICA.pc3 to Adobe PDF.pc3, the paper size changes to "Tabloid" and the sheet doesn't get cropped. If I then switch from Adobe PDF.pc3 back to AutoCAD PDF (General Documentation).pc3, the paper size changes to "ANSI B full bleed (11x17)" and the sheet is not cropped.

So, the new AutoCAD PDF .pc3 files match up Tabloid page defenitions to ANSI B full bleed, with obviously larger margins, but standard 11x17 defenitions (or at least the 11x17 defenition of our Konica printer) to ANSI B expanded, which has smaller margins.

The next question, if I'm on the right track at all, is: how do I fix this?

Message 5 of 13
ToanDN

You are on the right track diagnosing the issue.
If it was me, I would keep only the full bleeds for any PDF printers.
Message 6 of 13
pendean

"expand B" means smallest margins: a feature of your Konica. If there is no "expand B" or 'fullbleed B' in other drivers that means no small margins are being used, only the stock 'wide' ones.

So you are on the right track: matching the descriptions of the paper size gets you closer to equal output. But always remember Konica doesn't follow any standards set by anyone else, like all other manufacturers do, on how wide margins are or how small they can go.
Message 7 of 13
bryce.thelin

I think you might be running into this issue:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Page-size-mismatch-and-plot-hang-from-AutoCAD-2016

Bryce Thelin
AutoCAD Product Support
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Good suggestion. So, I filtered only the full bleed paper sizes for the "AutoCAD PDF (Generic Documentation).pc3", which works. Then, as an experiment, I added the standard ANSI B paper sizes, but modified them to match the slighighly smaller margins that the Konica uses. My goal is to get back to using the same 11x17 page setup for both plotting to the Konica printer and creating PDFs.

The issue now is that this filter was done on my local .pc3 file. We use a network folder that shares plotter .pc3 files to everyone (and is pointed to in the page setup) but the Publish window only brings in the local .pc3 files when plotting to PDF. So, is my only solution to modify everyone's local .pc3 file individually? (not fun, or efficient)

Thanks again for everyone's continued help and suggestions~

Message 9 of 13
ToanDN

You can copy the edited pc3 and pmp files to the server and point the users' folders to the server, and remove the paths to their local.  Keep a backup on your local or somewhere else just in case a user (un)deliberately messing with these files.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Great, that did it!

Message 11 of 13
tim.turner

Glad it worked for you whammer, can't get it to work here with a HP700 and a Ricoh C5503. Have deleted and recreated pc3 files, edited page margins down to zero, tried the full bleed sizes, edited the DWG To PDF.pc3 margins, created a new DWG To PDF.pc3 all to no avail. The top and bottom clipping on a letter size portrait sheet never moved like it is some hidden setting somewhere. Sad thing is this worked flawlessly up through 2015 until Autodesk had to "improve" it. Now after several hours of tinlkering have given up and gone back to the old way of a page setup just for pdf using the Adobe printer driver. Two steps back.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Hey all.  I'm having some issues when i publish my drawings to pdf.  I am able to publish a pdf set which is about 3 mb.  The electronic file looks good all the informations is the, but when i go to plot the pdf from Adobe Acrobat the physical plothas information that gets cut off or removed.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 13 of 13
cmiller

I have the same issues as many but I have found somewhat the reason I get my PDFs cut off on the left/right margins.

I went into the DWG to PDF.pc3 and changed ALL(ANSI and ARCH formats) margins to .01.

In all of my drawings, I have our office printer setup as the device in the "Page Setup Manager". I have no issues at all printing paper copies of anything.

Now at times we need PDFs.

1. So I pick publish

2. Change my "Publish to:" to PDF

3. Make sure PDF Preset is on "DWG to PDF(which is the pc3 I changed)

4. Pick layouts I want PDF'd

5. Click Publish.

Upon looking at the PDF'd drawings, I am missing a small portion on the left/right margins. Mostly just border lines.

I have fought and fought to find the issue and cannot.

But I did find out that, if I change my Page Setup to Adobe PDF, nothing is missing and it prints/plots correctly to PDF.

So every time I go to Publish a PDF, I have to change page setup.

This is also a major pain if there are multiple layouts because now I have to change each and every page layout setup. It sure would be nice to select multiple layouts/drawings at once to change page setups. This can be a problem every time someone changes printers/plotters and open older dwgs setup on past printer/plotters.

If there is a way to change page setup in multiple layouts, please pass that on. I can't find the answer. So now I fix one layout, to PDF in this case, then click the next layout and do the set current option.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report