NEED HELP IN CONVERTING MESH TO SOLID

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
janine_belisario
3755 Views, 8 Replies

NEED HELP IN CONVERTING MESH TO SOLID

Hello!

I really need help in exporting attached file to STL because I would like to send it for 3D printing by this week. I am having trouble converting the mesh object to 3D solid. Need help!!! I created the object as 3d face then converted it to mesh. It's not exporting as STL file because: Not solid/ watertight mesh.

Thanks!

Screenshot (38).png

I really like to 3D print it as attached image above.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi @janine_belisario,

I switched the visualization style to realistic and did discover a lot of holes and gaps. I suggest taking a look at filling the gaps so you can convert to a solid.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9

Are there different ways to fill the gaps besides the "close gap" command? (cause it's not working for me)

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9

Hi @janine_belisario,

I will take another look at your file. You might actually consider working with it in Inventor or Fusion 360 which might be easier. I see that you also have a layer that is turned off. Is there a difference in what is stored on that layer?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 9

Hi @janine_belisario,

There are lots of faces on top of faces which I think is part of the issue in it not closing. I converted the 3Dfaces to meshes and then Union(ed) them but I still see some overlapping faces that won't allow the object to be converted to a solid.

Where did this originate? is it possible to go backwards a bit to get a cleaner start?

John Vellek

Message 6 of 9

Hi John,

Can you try attached file below instead?

Message 7 of 9

i was able to convert it. Thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 9

Hi @janine_belisario,

Your new file appears much smaller and cleaner!

I used SMOOTH on the 3dfaces to convert to Mesh and then used Union to convert to faceted solid.

I am glad you got it to work on your own too. What steps did you use?

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 9 of 9

Hey john, can you help me out too?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost