Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Text is Too Small. How do I Increse the Scale?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
36853 Views, 6 Replies

My Text is Too Small. How do I Increse the Scale?

I am drawing an object in AutoCAD 2016 and must include text for instruction. However, after typing in my text, it shrinks down to microprint. How do I get it to normal size?

I first encountered this problem with dimension lines, but to solve the problem, I simply had to go to manage dimension styles, then modify, and adjust the scale to 25.4.

Again, I encountered this problem with leaders but solved the problem by doing the same as above (but for leaders), adjusting the scale to 15 to achieve a close-to-equal size (the scale of leaders vs dimension lines is not the same).

So, now that I have encountered this problem with text, I assumed I would have to simply adjust the scale through the same meathod as above, but I cannot find and option to adjust the scale.

I am working in milimeters. I am sure the answer is simple, but please be patient

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
steve216586
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the user forums! 🙂

Simply use the command STYLE and change the text height to a value which is your desired text height multiplied by 25.4. It seems you may be using a drawing with Inches as its units instead of metric millimeters.

If you would like to fix that, you should use the command -DWGUNITS (notice the hyphen). and change the units to #3 millimeters. But then you'd have to go back and re-adjust everything you have already changed by 25.4.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

Thank you for the repsonse. I apologize for any spelling mistakes. I am in quite a hurry today.

Using the style comman is what I have been doing. It is not the text height which I am attempting to adjust. As mentioned about the leader and dimension lines, I adjusted the scale of the lettering. For some reason, this type of scale adjustment seems not to exist for the simple text box. I have no idea why it would not, so I feel like a way must exist.

If I adjust the text height by using the scale command, I seem not to get any result. I even adjusted the text height to 100 to see if a change would occur, and I got nothing.

Also, I guarentee you I am working in millimeters haha.

I have attached a screenshot. The white blob to the left is the text which I am trying to bring to normal size.

Message 4 of 7
steve216586

Out of curiosity, if you select the text box and use PROPERTIES, what height does it show? There is a paperspace text height and a modelspace text height property.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: steve216586

When viewing properties, there is no paper space or model space text height. There is a "defined height," which is 0.0000 (which, also, I cannot edit) and a "text height" which is .1250.

Before, I changed the text height form .1250 to 6.something and it did nothing. However, I changed it to 3.0000 this time was able to achieve a normal, acceptable height.

Thank you for the help! 🙂

Message 6 of 7
steve216586

I have to believe your drawing is not set to the correct unit. You had a height of .125 and it was really tiny. You just set it to 3 and is readable.

.125 x 25.4 = 3.0625

In the dimension manage under the text tab, what is your text height set to in that dialog? If it is .125, change it to 3.0625. And in STYLE dialog set your text height to 0, and the dimension height will control your text universally in that drawing.

Message 7 of 7
BeKirra

I am with Steve.

steve216586 wrote:
I have to believe your drawing is not set to the correct unit…

The following may give you more ideas, rather than just reset the text size.

First, if I understand correctly, I believe you are modifying someone else drawing or use someone else drawing as your new drawing.

If this is the case, it would be better if you reset the drawing by adjusting the following command and system variables:

0) -DWGunit

1) Units (-Units)

2) measureinit

3) measurement

4) textsize

5) UnitMode

6) Lunits

7) LuPrec

8) Aunits

9) AuPrec

10) INSUNITS

11) INSUNITSDEFSOURCE

12) INSUNITSDEFTARGET

Please have a look the details in HELP for the above settings.

And you need to ensure that linetype file loaded to your drawing is the one to be associated with the unit you use.

"acad.lin" is an imperial linetype file while "acadiso.lin" is a metric linetype file.

You may want to read this thread:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016/linetype-scale/td-p/5851131

I suggest you create a new dimstyle then replace the old one for the dimensions you want to change, rather than just modify an existing dimstyle.

Secondly, if you started the drawing from scratch, it would be better if using a drawing template with metric unit shipped by Autodesk.

Furthermore, create your own templates with your title block and use them all time.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report