Did you mean: 

MTEXT Justification Dimension

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
pfilters
1117 Views, 3 Replies

MTEXT Justification Dimension

I use ACAD 2016 but the following issue has existed for a long time, at least as far back as 2012.  I would like to change the MTEXT justifcation of a dimension so it centers the first line of text at the Dim lines.  See attached images.  Using the MTEXT Justification pulldown in the text editor affects the horizontal (L/R/C) position but not the vertical position.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
wispoxy
in reply to: pfilters

I feel you're over complicating it. Make the adjustment, then turn the text into an attribute block.

I'm assuming you're talking about doing this in a large scale, with many dimensions.

Message 3 of 4
pfilters
in reply to: wispoxy

So it would be less complicated to explode a dimension, move the text to the desired location, define an attribute, move the attribute definition to the dim text location, delete the dim text, and then make all of it a rigid block?  Using a dynamic block would be slightly better, but isn't that kind of what a dimension already is but with the added bonus of actually changing the dimension when the dimenion lines move?  And all of that is somehow more complcated than clicking a justification button like the one in the attached image from SolidWorks?  It might be barely justifiable as a one-off, but you also assumed this would be on a large scale basis.  No thanks.

Is it too much for me to want the options that already exist in AutoCAD (MText Justification) to actually do something close to what they suggest they can do?  Why give "Top" "Middle" and "Bottom" options in dimension text if they arent going to work?  Is it becuase it's "easier" to program the Text Editor to show the same options regradless of whether your editting regular text or a dimension?

Message 4 of 4
pfilters
in reply to: pfilters

I just stumbled on the "solution" in Help.  You click on the dimension, and then hover over the text grip to display several options. "Move Text Only" is one of the options.  See attachment for before and after image.  The only draw back I have seen in the past few minutes is the text no longer moves when you drag the dimension lines or extension lines; it stays in the exact location you moved it to.  I feel this solution is kind of like a work around but not totally.  It's nice that it exists, but I would still rather have the MText Justification options work like I think they should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta