Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor / Display question(s)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
221 Views, 3 Replies

Monitor / Display question(s)

Has anyone out there with "aging eyes" gone from 1080 screens to 4K and experienced a worth-the-investment improvement? Sharper, more "vivid", easier to see, etc, or a waste of cash that might be better spent on new glasses?

I do almost exclusively 2D drafting and annotation in AutoCAD, very little 3D.

Do features such as HDR, per-pixel lighting vs. edgelit, etc make any difference in AutoCAD?

Going from old-school CRT screens to 720p, and then to 1080p were both definite improvements, but I would hate to replace fully-functional 1080's that weren't cheap with 4K's that would be even less cheap only to discover that the only real difference is more use of the mouse-wheel to zoom in & out.

Most of what I can find on the internet on the subject is (negatively) related to the hurdles Autodesk experienced in getting AutoCAD to "play nice" with 4K resolution, toolbars, icons, menus, etc rather than objective comments on image quality of geometry & text.

Hard to tell in an appliance store, as displays focus on movies, games, etc (which do look better) and not much on "lines & words".

Thanks in advance-

Dan

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
gotphish001
in reply to: Anonymous

First 4k only works on 2017 with the update installed and 2018+, so if you are using an older version than 2017 4k will give you more headaches than you will want. 

I have a 4k at home and yes it looks better in my opinion. I don't do much work at home on it so how much better I'm not sure.

If I had a situation like this, here is what I would do:   Let's I have two 1080 24" monitors at work. I would rather get two new 1080 30" monitors to replace those as opposed to two 4k 24" monitors. I'm just making up numbers, but the point is I'd rather have bigger 1080 screens than the 4k for the same price. Yes you get more screen real estate on 4k because the pixels are smaller but I only want my menus and that stuff so small.  I can always zoom in on the model if I need to see better.

Now I'm drawing things like fire stations and park restroom buildings, but I could see if you are doing 3d, renders or mechanical things that 4k would be a worth it perk. 'Don't forget 4k will tax the graphics card more so if your card chokes some on what you are doing on a 1080 then a 4k will only be worse. 

Most of this is opinion, but for what I do at my job now 4k isn't worth it IMO. I'd rather have a bigger screen size wise  if I was to update monitors. That or just add a third or fourth screen and spend the extra cash on a sweet mounting solution that holds all those screens. I'd love to have two screens horizontal and one screen on each side of those mounted vertical. I wouldn't lose any more desk space than I have now but I'd gain a lot of usable monitor space.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 3 of 4
scot-65

A less-than advertised specification is "Dot Pitch".
If you can find one that is less than "24", then you
are good to go regardless of 1080 or 6k...

Of course this specification is in the same league as
the "Refresh Rate" - One will pay more for a better
specification as these two (inclusive) will easily drive
up the cost of the product.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies- I decided to try new glasses first, glad I did! 1080 again looks just fine. I think I wouldn't have seen 4K any better than 1080. Not to mention the rest of the "off-screen" world.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta