Did you mean: 

Material Editor - Material Properties values keep changing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
362 Views, 4 Replies

Material Editor - Material Properties values keep changing

Hello,

I was editing the properties of a material and could not seem to get the values to stay. For example; I tried to change the x-offset to -17.5 but it keeps changing to -20.3 as soon as I click on another box or anywhere else. I had tried with different values and again, they change to a randomly close value.

I have tried to change properties of another material; however, the problem persists.

I have updated to the latest version of AutoCAD 2018 (sept 4 2020 update - can't remember the exact version number which doesn't really matter since this is the latest version) and have checked through the settings to make sure everything is up to date.

Please do help, need a fix ASAP!

For context, I am modelling a building (very basic rectangular prism) and took a picture of the facade to place ontop of the building in AutoCAD. I chose to do it through applying a custom material but if there is a better way, please do let me know!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I tried to change the x-offset to -17.5 but it keeps changing to -20.3 

Are you referring to texture map?

Or where exactly do you have the values you are referring to?

Also please start command _ABOUT and show us a screenshot so we know which product and version (2018?) and update you have.

If you can upload the dwg-file with this one object+material+texture map image file it would be easier to help.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>>Or where exactly do you have the values you are referring to?

Refer to "Autodesk Help - Screengrab 1" . The offset values, and pretty much any other value that can be changed, changes on its own.
I tested the model on a brand new file using one of the .dwt (templates) and it seems to work now. However, when I tried to copy the model back on to my original file, the problem persists.

>> Also please start command _ABOUT and show us a screenshot so we know which product and version (2018?) and update you have.

Refer to "Autodesk Help - Screengrab 2"

I think I could simply paste the image in my file w/ a custom UCS and simply use the align command to scale and align the points on my image to points on my model. However, I still want to know why this material problem is happening?

The last question from the original post still stands, is there an alternative to the process I am going through to get what I am trying to accomplish?

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I tested the model on a brand new file using one of the

>> .dwt (templates) and it seems to work now

Well, then copy your existing model into such a new file where this input works.

Just one additional information on that: this dialog is one of the first in AutoCAD which allows to enter units and the dialog itself recalculates the value then to the internal unit.

E.g. it makes a difference if you enter 2m or 2" as it then interprets the value as 2 Meter or 2 Inch.

Maybe you can get the value correct when you add the units-sign.

>> The last question from the original post still stands, is

>> there an alternative to the process

Sorry, I did not understand this description/question of your current process.

In general if you want to use your own picture as texture map ... then no, there is no other way than to create a material using this image as texture map (sorry for this description, but that's why I think I did not understand the question correct).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>> Well, then copy your existing model into such a new file where this input works

Yup! That's what I'll do now.

>> Just one additional information on that: this dialog is one of the first in AutoCAD which allows to enter units and the dialog itself recalculates the value then to the internal unit.

I just gave it a try and it doesn't fix the problem. A neat way to scale between varying dimensions though, thanks for that!

>> Sorry, I did not understand this description/question of your current process.

I apologize, I don't know the correct terminology to adequately explain my process. However, after a quick google search of "Texture Map", it is exactly what I was trying to get done! Thank you for your help, Alfred!

Stay Safe!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report