Lineweights won't plot as they are in layout

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
8411 Views, 22 Replies

Lineweights won't plot as they are in layout

Hello,

I have a plot set for A1 and lines set to .5 mm, but they won't plot that way. I have tried selectiong the option "scale lineweights" checked and unchecked. I've tried using the monochrome with "plot object lineweight" selected, and also not using it at all. Still, viewport (layout.png) ends up looking like all the lines are the same size (plot.png).

I have been Google/ing and forum/ing this issue, but no solution yet. Found people with similar issues, but applying their solutions so far hasn't worked. Any ideas?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you had this problem before or is it just this drawing? Have you tried checking the "display plot styles" in the page setup? Also, are you using ctb or stb to plot?
Message 3 of 23
pendean

>>>...lines set to .5 mm...<<<
How exactly is that done? Please explain, your pictures tell us little about what we are looking at. Thanks.
Message 4 of 23
scot-65

The column in the layer manager that allows line weight
adjustment is for the display only and has nothing to
do with plotting chores. As ZSaavedra suggested, look
into setting up the pen tables (CTB / STB) as these files
are used to display the line weights outside the editor.

???

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 5 of 23
LyleHardin

Are the lines actually POLYLINES with a width? I have noticed polyline widths will override pen settings at certain scales.

Are you printing with STB or CTB? Lots of variables here to deal with.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

I haven't had this problem before. Used to have a layout for A3 where everything worked, which I've now changed to A1 (through page setup manager). Didn't use plot styles before, as in neither stb or ctb (had it selected as none) and it still worked (in A3). Now I've tried monochrome.stb (see screenshot).

Tried to check/uncheck display plot styles, which didn't change anything in paper space nor in the plot.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Certainly. Attached a screen shot of what I was talking about.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: LyleHardin

Thanks, I now changed the polylines to Global Width 100.0, which ended up being close enough, and it plotted fine. Lines, and objects (arcs, circles) still won't plot their width as it looks in model space and in layout.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Here is a sample if anyone has the time to look through the settings.

Message 10 of 23
LyleHardin

Sorry. The meaning of my reply was to make sure the polylines did NOT have a width. Their widths should = 0 and the pen settings (.ctb or .stb) should control the printed width. You shouldn't have to control your printed line weights by changing polyline widths.

Message 11 of 23
pendean

I notice your file's objects are all assigned a unique LINETYPE SCALE: this is going to cause scaling issues with your linetypes at some point. Any reason you do not wish to assign LTSCALE to something unique to help? MSTLSCALE variable set to 1 would help too.

A typical AutoCAD user uses plot style tables to determine plotting lineweights, and if they also need to see them on screen, they turn on that ability in the PAGESETUP of that tab in the DWG file.

Do you need help understanding and using Plot Style Tables? If yes, is your preference to rely on screen color or make it ignore screen colors and assign it as an override?

You seem to be skirting the question when asked so far. Let us know what your level of experience with the program is so we can tailor our responses appropriately.

Message 12 of 23
LyleHardin

I downloaded your file. I set all polyline widths to 0. The first print I made (pdf) I kept your plot settings and all lineweights came out thin. I unchecked "Scale Lineweights" and all appears fine now. See attachements. I changed your 0.5mm layer to magenta so I could see which layer should be thick. So, it appears the "Scale Lineweights" is your issue.  I agree with Pendean, though. Typically, pen weights are controlled by either a .ctb or .stb file.

We use .ctb (pen wieghts are controlled by screen colors), but I would prefer the .stb (pen weights are controlled by plot styles assigned to layers) as the user ultimately has more control with .stb.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Yes, the unique linetype scale was one of the many attempts I had to get it to work. Thought I had removed it.

I have as I said earlier not used stb/ctb before, or at least I'm pretty sure I did, so you're right, that was part of the problem. However, the solution was much easier than that and did not require plot styles.  The company PDF reader (Bluebeam) did not show the thickness, whilst Adove did. With or without plot styles, I have no issues with getting it to work now.

I will probably incorporate plot styles in the future anyway, as I did some tutorials and found the use beneficial.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: LyleHardin

Thanks for your help and input. I narrowed it down to the PDF reader not displaying the line thickness (Bluebeam), whilst other's like Adobe did. Now I can get it to work with or without plot styles.

I've read into it more after reading your suggestions and found several applications for them.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Bluebeam Revu did not display (for reasons unknown) the lineweight thickness, but Adobe e.g. did.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

I AM TRYING TO PRINT TO PDF WITH A CTB. BUT THE LINE WEIGHTS ARE NOT PRINTING. THE "PLOT WITH PLOT STYLES" OPTION IS CHECKED. THE "SCALE LINE WEIGHTS" IS NOT CHECKED. I TRYED EVERYTHING...

Message 17 of 23
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you please upload:

• the dwg-file with that layout
  • the ctb-files used in that layout
  • a PDF that you created from that layout

Plus: please let us know which version of AutoCAD you are working with.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I am using Autocad 2018.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

I AM USING AUTOCAD 2018. I INSTALLED IT ONE MONTH AGO. When I print the pdf with a ctb , the lineweights are all the same.

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

I am using autocad 2018, when I print with ctb to PDF all the line weights are the same

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report