Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers not turning back on after Lay Iso

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
4491 Views, 16 Replies

Layers not turning back on after Lay Iso

Does anybody have any idea as to why certain layers do not turn back on (the light bulb remains off) after a layer isolate command?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anybody have any idea as to why certain layers do not turn back on (the light bulb remains off) after a layer isolate command?

Thanks

Do they come back after a REGEN?

Message 3 of 17
m_kingdon

Try this command in the command bar: UNISOLATEOBJECTS

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

I've tried regen, in order for them to come back on I have to go to the layer manager and click on the bulb to toggle them on.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: m_kingdon

I tried the UNISOLATEOBJECTS and the prompt back was "No objects to Unisolate"

Message 6 of 17
leothebuilder

Using the LAYISO command will turn off all layers except the layer (or layers) you have selected.

To turn the layers back On that are now Off, you need to issue the LAYUNISO command. 

You can also use the LAYERP command to restore the previous layer setting.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Ive attached some imagery to better expain my problem:

Below is when everything in the On/Off (light bulb) toggle is On

Everyting ON.png

Below Is layer isolate to see a single layer (linework)

Lay Iso.png

Below is Layer UnIsolate

Lay UnIso.png

Message 8 of 17
leothebuilder

It looks like your are using this command on xref layers.

Have you tried the LAYERP command? (layerprevious)

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: leothebuilder

Layer Isolate cannot work on Xrefed layers.

The layers do not turn on are the ones that are frozen in the viewport (after a layerisolate), I'm trying to find a way to prevent this. 

Message 10 of 17
Basam.Yousif

Apologies for replying to an old post, but I see there was no response or a solution to this problem. My client is using Acad 2019 (and I'm testing with Acad 2022 latest build) and we both are getting the same issue.

The scenario:

All layers ON. Do a LAYISO, then LAYUNISO. Not all the layers come back ON, and it's always the same layers that remain OFF. This is not limited to xref layers, or to isolated objects.
Any ideas?

Message 11 of 17
pendean
in reply to: Basam.Yousif

Post a DWG file with the problem, explain how you are doing it, lets try it with your own files and see if we can replicate it, since in our own files I see no issues.
Message 12 of 17
Kent1Cooper

Could they be Layers VPFrozen in Viewports?  Under some circumstances, when a Layer is thawed, REGEN is needed to make things on it re-appear.  If it's only in Viewports, does REGENALL bring them back?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 17
ryanbCVMYJ

I'm having the same issue. SO ANNOYING! Anyone found a fix by chance?

Message 14 of 17
Basam.Yousif

I just started using 2025 and it's not doing this anymore - so maybe it was resolved?

I used LAYISO then LAYUNISO a few times and it seems to work. I would change the settings from <Lock and face> to OFF ... change variable LAYLOCKFADECTL to 0

Message 15 of 17
ryanbCVMYJ

Basam.Yousif, Thank you so much for your quick response! I'm using 2023. I went ahead and set LAYLOCKFADECTL to 0 and tried again. Unfortunately, it still is acting strange. I tried the following simple test:

1. Open a brand new dwg and create three layers, say Layer 1, Layer 2, and Layer V.

2. On a layout tab, create a viewport using Layer V. 

3. Inside the viewport, draw two lines: one on Layer 1 and the other on Layer 2. 

4. Outside the viewport (in paper space), also draw two lines: one on Layer 1 and the other on Layer 2.

5. In paper space, "viewport-freeze" Layer2. Notice you can still see Layer 2 in the viewport, but not in paper space.

6. Select the paper space line on Layer 1 and do LAYISO command. All you see is Layer 1 in and out of the viewport.

7. Do the LAYUNISO command. Notice that Layer 2 is now turned off in the layout! even though we did the layiso and layuniso commands strictly in paper space!

Does that happen to you in the same context? and if so, am I just not understanding how layiso and layuniso work?

Message 16 of 17
ryanbCVMYJ

Also, perhaps there's really not a great reason for layers to be "viewport-frozen" in paper space. So, maybe the solution is just to never "viewport-freeze" layers in paper space. Although that's easier said than done when you have multiple people working on a drawing from time to time. They tend to muck up my layer settings every time, haha.

Message 17 of 17
arivera3

Found the solution for me.. I noticed only the frozen layers would not turn back on.. So i found this post where on Layer Settings-Isolate Layer Setting (Below)- CLICK VP FREEZE...I had it on OFF.. let me know if this helps..

Screenshot 2024-09-17 092745.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report