Ortho Shift key not working correctly

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
B_Juan
34533 Views, 22 Replies

Ortho Shift key not working correctly

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with ortho mode. When holding down shift key it should enable and then disable once I let go. I currently have ortho toggled off and would like it enabled when holding down shift.

Currently by default there are two shortcuts, shift and f8. The f8 shortcut does work fine. I have looked in the cui settings and both the f8 and shift shortcuts have the same options applied. After some testing, it seems to work sometimes when pushing the left and right shift keys at the same time, but it has been a bit hard to test since I only have two hands, sadly.

I know this use to work in the past but can't seem to figure it out now. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm currently on windows 10 64 bit, AutoCAD 2019.1 student version. I also tested on 2018 and it acted the same.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: B_Juan

Hi,

try to change your setting of sysvar TEMPOVERRIDES.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 23
B_Juan
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

That didn't seem to work. I tried at 1 and 0.

I've found some older threads of people having a similar issue, starting to think it might be a bug with application.

Message 4 of 23
imadHabash

Hi,

>> .... starting to think it might be a bug with application.

yes that right it's a bug ... BUT till this moment i don't know it's related to AutoCAD or to the machine trade mark ( Dell ,Hp,...etc ) 

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @B_Juan,

Does this work if you restore the CUI?

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 23
B_Juan
in reply to: john.vellek

I have tried restoring but it is still broken.

Message 7 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @B_Juan,

I am sorry that didn't work.  I suspect that this might be due to the laptop keyboard driver as suggested by @imadHabash.  You might check your Windows control panel to see if there are any settings there that might be adjusted to allow this to work.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 23
B_Juan
in reply to: john.vellek

Yes it might be. Weird how it only occurs on AutoCAD though.

I ended up just changing the shortcut to Shift+Z, which works completely fine. I have to push an extra key but I could get use to it.

Thanks for all the help!

Message 9 of 23
manolocarenter

Can you tell us how you change F8 for shift+Z? I have tried it, but it doesn't work

Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

i don't know why but that didn't work for me😢😢

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe you have isometric drafting on, then it does not work properly. 

Message 12 of 23
dnorwood

TEMPOVERRIDES (System Variable)

It was set to zero on my machine. I set it back to 1 and now it works!

I have AutoCAD 2021

By the way, someone already wrote this but the "go to solution" link takes you to the wrong answer.

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: manolocarenter

It works.

You can change the keyboard shortcut as: Choose CUI in the tab "Manager". In the left side list, choose Keyboard Shortcuts => Temporary override keys. in the right side list, choose Toggles Orthogonal Modes and change the Shortcut key as you want. For me SHIFT+Z is just nice

Message 14 of 23
hariskamileris

Hello All,

That whole discussion is disappointing. It look like it might have to do with the computer manufacturer, HD for exemple. So no one has found an actual solution" ? Like how to disable manufacturer shift shortcut to bring it back to it's original function ?

So far I see no solution, it's a "workaround". So, three 3 years later, how to we actually solve this issue ?

Shift shortcut will not work on Autocad 2017, on certain machins and that's that ?

Message 15 of 23
crbtov
in reply to: hariskamileris

Same bug in here

Cassualy with a HP Omen Laptop, nothing works

Message 16 of 23
jonas.inta
in reply to: dnorwood

thanks, that worked for me too.
back to shift to de ortho, instead of trying to remember which Fn button
Message 17 of 23
hannah6U6HU

Thank you, mine started to do this recently for some unknown reason. 

This solution has worked for me, thank you @dnorwood 

Message 18 of 23
bugrapuhurcu
in reply to: hannah6U6HU

It did not work for me. I believe that it is caused by computer brands. Please fix this bug. It is seen that the problem have not been solved till 2017

Message 19 of 23
bmcglasson

This worked! Thanks!

Message 20 of 23
ervinmapz

Just turn on your polar tracking, it will solve the temporary on and off of the ortho. And you will not need to press shift anymore. (using Autocad 2021)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta