Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layer groups in blocks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
836 Views, 15 Replies

layer groups in blocks

I have a problem in autocad 2016, iv'e created layer group filters in my block.

But whenever i import my block into a drawing the groups aren't in the layer prop. manager, all the layers are unsorted in the list.

Is there anny way to keep the groups i made in the block ?

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the forums!

Can you attach a drawing so I can see what you are seeing? Perhaps I can come up with a solution for you.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

hi john,

I've attached the block i'm constructing.

Whenever i insert the block into a different drawing it seems to lose the layer group filter's that i have made.

Message 4 of 16
RobDraw

I wouldn't expect them to come in with a block. That's more of a template item. Filter groups can be saved and imported but be careful as you will lose existing ones.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

would i lose existing layers or existing layer group filters if i import the group filters that i want to come with the block ?

Message 6 of 16
RobDraw

You could have figured it out in less time than it took you type the question. It only affects filter groups.

Rob

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

sorry i'm fairly new to useing these functions, i haven't figured out yet how to save and import these layer group filters yet.

I'm currently working on drawing and haven't had the time to test or learn these functions.

That being the reason why i asked.

Message 8 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I don't believe you can save and export/import the layer groups in AutoCAD 2016. I suggest that you place your layers, groups, filters and the like into a template file and use that to start all new drawings.

If you want to create the layer groups in an existing file then I propose that a Macro, script, or LISP routine would probably be the most reliable method to do so.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 9 of 16
RobDraw

@john.vellek wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

I don't believe you can save and export/import the layer groups in AutoCAD 2016.

So the buttons in the layer manager do something other than what they say they do or they just don't work?

Rob

Message 10 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @RobDraw,

The Group Filter button in Layer Properties Manger in AutoCAD 2016 is the second button from the left. When this is selected, a new Group Filter is automatically listed and allows the user to rename it. If the user rt-clicks this new group filter, there is an option to select layers that belong to this group. There is not an import or export function associated with this feature.

Inserting kevin.decavele's block does not create the groups in my drawing either.

Now, if I misunderstood that the intent is to create a Properties Filter, that is done by clicking the first button on the left. A new window opens that allows the filter to be named and the bottom portion of the window allows selection of properties to be included in the filter. Again, there is no import or export feature associated with this feature.

Lastly, the third button is to start the Layer States Manager. This feature allows the user to save the conditions of layers such as color, visibility, linetypes, etc..

Layer states can be imported and exported for use in other drawings.

I hope that this clarifies my prior post about using Templates to enable the groups for new drawings or to seek out a customization routine that can create the groups on the fly in existing drawings.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 16
RobDraw

Maybe I'm being bitten by the MEP bug again. I am able to save and import Layer Filter Groups.

Attached is what I see in AutoCAD MEP 2016:

Rob

Message 12 of 16
john.vellek

Hi @RobDraw,

Yes, I believe that functionality does exist in some of the verticals.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 16
RobDraw

There's that word again, "believe". You work for support but cannot say if it does or does not.

I'm sorry but that word shouldn't be applied to basic functionality. It does or it doesn't. There isn't any believing or doubts. I just stated that it does but you are still not sure? I don't get it.

Rob

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Rob,

I'm using autocad mechanical 2016. i've attached a pic. of my layer prop. manager.

I seem to be missing those buttons you have circled, could you elaborate whit what MEP is ?

And thank you both for helping me with this problem 🙂

Message 15 of 16
RobDraw

Yeah, sorry about that. MEP is an AutoCAD vertical like Mechanical but for build systems, Mechanincal, Electrical, and Plumbing. Why some of the verticals get additional tools not incuded in vanilla AutoCAD and have nothing to do with the trades is beyond me and gets me in trouble sometimes. You would think Layer Manager would be the same across the board.

Rob

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

It seems to be that way, and i cannot find a way to get these buttons.

So i assume that the only way to get my layer groups in autocad 2016 mechanical will be by useing a template, macro or lisp ?

I have never worked with macro and lisp command's so i'll make a template for when i have to build drawings from scratch.

ATM i'm updateing existing drawings so there is no template needed yet.

But thanks for helping me out with this problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta