Did you mean: 

Joining dissimilar polylines creates errors

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hencoop
188 Views, 4 Replies

Joining dissimilar polylines creates errors

Hello all,

It is about time that Autodesk fix the problem they cause when polylines on different layers are joined.  The layer names of VERTEX objects are not replaced with the new POLYLINE object (owner's) layer name.  Obviously, this pertains to HEAVY polylines which have VERTEX objects (LWPOLYLINEs do not).  This problem makes it important to AUDIT the drawing after joining polylines.  (This is not an invitation to recommend only using LWPOLYLINEs.)  Heavy polylines are valid AutoCAD objects and still supported by AutoCAD.  Many older but still very useful autolisp routines will only work on heavy polylines.  Therefore, Autodesk needs to fix their polyline modifying commands so this layer name error is not generated.  Joining polylines having different layers will always generate this error in some of the resulting polyline's vertices.

When this error exists in a drawing, autolisp queries of an object's layer will return an incorrect layer name for ANY object, not just the polyline in which the error exists.  Routines that use layer names to determine how they respond will result in unexpected results whenever this error exists in the drawing database.

Command: AUDIT
Fix any errors detected? [Yes/No] <N>: y
Auditing Header
Auditing Tables
Auditing Entities Pass 1
Pass 1 28700 objects audited
Auditing Entities Pass 2
Pass 2 27600        objects auditedAcDb2dVertex(147BE4A)         layer != owner's         set to owner's
Pass 2 28700        objects audited
Auditing Blocks
339 Blocks audited
Auditing AcDsRecords
Total errors found 1 fixed 1
Erased 0 objects 

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: hencoop

@hencoop wrote:

...It is about time that Autodesk fix the problem they cause ....  Therefore, Autodesk needs to fix their ...

While you wait for Autodesk to never react nor respond to anything here in the forums... You are always free to tell Autodesk about anything at the link below where they look for user feedback as often as you need or feel it is important 

https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback 

Message 3 of 5
hencoop
in reply to: pendean

@pendean 

I have worked some very long standing problems and even some with an elevated response team from Autodesk.  The elevated response actually confirmed the existence of an issue.  That was years ago and it has not yet been fixed.  I think that must have been because the user base that was impacted by the problem was very small.  Every now and then, it helps me to just vent here about such problems.

I have found that Autodesk is particularly unresponsive regarding interface inconsistencies, time wasters like windows adjusting themselves or not being displayed or command window changing its position and settings to something different when a new session is started than what they were when the workspace was last saved, etc... these known problems have been around for years.

I expect that within ten years there will only be web/cloud based Autodesk applications... with far fewer and very different user preferences available.  I believe Autodesk will do this because it provides them a way to finally abandon their legacy patchwork of program code responsible for errors and problems in the desktop versions of AutoCAD based products and which also makes it impractical and probably even hazardous to even try to fix.

Message 4 of 5
pendean
in reply to: hencoop

@hencoop wrote:

...it helps me to just vent here about such problems.... .

You're preaching to the choir in these forums my friend. You'll also get feedback from users too, so buckle-up 🙂

If you only wish to vent, may I direct you to the link I provided PLUS the Autodesk Facebook and Twitter accounts, they seem best positioned for that IMHO.

Happy Friday.

Message 5 of 5
hencoop
in reply to: pendean

@pendean 

I don't and won't have a Facebook account.  I think I may still have a Twitter account.  I've never found any good use for either of them. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report