Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with grid/snap and paper alignment

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
andrew.lehmanTY5Y8
465 Views, 5 Replies

Issues with grid/snap and paper alignment

I am having a weird issue where in a drawing sheet set some of the dwgs don't have their grid and snap lined up with the page or items on the page. Unfortunately I can only attach 3 attachments, but Sheet 12 is NOT aligned with the grid. Sheet 13 on the other hand IS aligned with the grid and therefore snaps perfectly at the corner of the page. When I try to google similar issues all I can find are the tutorials for how to use and change the grid or se the origin but not anyone dealing with this alignment issue or the grid not updating with a new origin being set.

The title block should have a 0.5" margin to the edge of the 11"x17" paper. We use a standard grid of 0.0625" x 0.0625" with the grid spacing major line set to 5. The grid / snap should align with the edges of the page.

I have tried going to "View; Coordinates; Origin" in order to set the origin to the correct point to allow the grid to be aligned to the corner of the page, but It will NOT update the grid to match or 'shift' it after I set the new origin. Additionally, in the "Drafting Settings; Snap and Grid" section if I select the grid to be dotted it then IS aligned with the page and title block but I do not like using the dotted grid as it is hard to see the dots at some points.

I've been messing around in the settings and in the view tab for a long while now and I just cant seem to get it to line up. If there's any more important info I can provide let me know. This is my first time on the Forums and I also don't have any traditional training with AutoCAD (I am trained and fairly good with Inventor though).

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Patchy
in reply to: andrew.lehmanTY5Y8

Message 3 of 6
andrew.lehmanTY5Y8
in reply to: Patchy

This solution did not work for me (I said I already tried the View tab, coordinates section, and the Origin button to set a new origin). This does not shift my visual grid at all on some of the drawings. I can move the drawing onto the grid but then the paper space and limits aren't aligned with the grid.

Message 4 of 6
DumR0
in reply to: andrew.lehmanTY5Y8

Hi, 

Hard problem you have there @_ @Anonymous

1) when you refer as 0.0625" please check if your units is on inches, your drawing is unittles

Dumitrurobu4BPMD_0-1657702427037.png

2) you problem here is the page setup in the layout, because I do not have access to your setup bullzip pdf, cant see how is setup, so next step is to correctly setup your page.

Dumitrurobu4BPMD_1-1657702566100.png

Dumitrurobu4BPMD_2-1657702732306.png

you will get this

Dumitrurobu4BPMD_3-1657702780166.pngDumitrurobu4BPMD_4-1657702813833.png

Message 5 of 6

@andrew.lehmanTY5Y8 wrote:

.... Sheet 12 is NOT aligned with the grid. Sheet 13 on the other hand IS aligned with the grid ....

13 is not in the World Coordinate System, if that explains the difference between the two, and if fixing that will fix the problem.  Do that, and set the SNAPBASE System Variable to 0,0.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 6

I've always simply plotted to layout 1:1 and have never had an issue in 30 years.

In Options… [Display] tab under Layout elements checking 'Display printable area' and unchecking 'Display paper background' allows you to always see how your current layout will plot so there's no surprises when you need to do it.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report