Did you mean: 

HOW CAN CREATE DIMSTYLES, ONE FOR MODEL SPACE AND ANOTHER FOR PAPER SPACE

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
hussicharmssf
326 Views, 3 Replies

HOW CAN CREATE DIMSTYLES, ONE FOR MODEL SPACE AND ANOTHER FOR PAPER SPACE

Hello community. I use model space and paperspace simultaneously while working. I have created two dimstyles one for MS and another for PS. But when I switch to PS and mark any dimension with my the style created for PS as current it doesn''t change. Its still in the MS's style. Can anybody clarify how can I have seperate dimstyles for both spaces?Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

technically speaking you can change your active dimstyle before placing your dimensions and the dimensions will be created in the active style. Or you can select your dimensions afterwards and change their style in the properties palette.

MichielValcke_0-1657692691166.png   MichielValcke_1-1657692728203.png  

Changing from MS to PS will not cause AutoCAD to change the dimension style automatically. You still need to do it manually or have an active lisp with a reactor that tracks changes between MS and PS and changes the style for you.

But why do you need to differentiate between PS and MS in your dimensions?  You either place all your dimensions in Model Space or you place them all in paperspace. Most of the time model space dimensions are used for 2D drawings. You can make them annotative if you need to show them in different scales without affecting the legibility. Paper Space dimensions are something I have always tried to avoid, but I do use them to dimension different views of 3D parts. I find it more clean than creating them in the model space.

Message 3 of 4

Thank you michiel. But to answer your question about dimensioning either in PS or MS, when I draft something like a site layout I do the final dimensioning in PS. But meanwhile if I have to verify any dimension while am in MS I have created a seperate style with different text height. But the problem comes when I give any style as current one, automatically the other style also changes according to the one which I gave as current. To be more clear you can see my screencast where I set up 2 different styles with 2 text height for MS ans PS individually. But when I switch back from PS to MS the DIM-MS automatically changed from 100 (which I have set first) to 0.05 (which is the PS height).

Message 4 of 4
TomBeauford
in reply to: hussicharmssf

All I use is annotative dimensions that display the same drawn in both PS or MS. I remember many years ago having to have dimension styles for every annotation scale. Annotative Dimensions was one of the best improvements to AutoCAD ever! 

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report