ISOPLANE

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
435 Views, 2 Replies

ISOPLANE

PROGRAM: AUTODESK AUTOCAD Design Suite Premium 2015

ISOPLANE

When working on a large 3D model, the curser will on the screen basically always be located at a surface of an object, while the ISOPLANE is automatically rotating to the plane of the surface at which the curser is located.

Can such feature be switched off, so that the ISOPLANE would stay in the xy plane as selected in the coordinate system and indicated with the UCS icon?

Related problem:

For explanation of the problem, I create a cube as a first 3D object. To create a second 3D object by a base area (circle, rectangular etc) extruded along a polyline, I desire to create a circle or a polyline starting at a certain location (snap point) in a certain plane.

I am moving the curser first over the upper horizontal surface of the cube and select the front left corner as the center point of a circle, which allows me to create the blue color circle shown in screen 2, as expected, in the xy plane.

SCEEN 1 - see attachment

Similarly I can create the other circles and polylines in any desired plane, as long as I sweep with the curser over a surface of the cube which is in line with plane I want to use and I use a corner of such surface as a start point for my 2D drawing object.

In a second step I try to draw circles in different planes at the end of one of the polylines as shown on SCREEN 2 (see attachement).

SCREEN 2 - see attachement

When I select the endpoint of the polyline as center point of the circle, regardless of the plane in which the polyline has been generated, the circle would be generated in the UCS xy plane. As such, if I rotate the xy plane into the plane direction I want to draw the circle, it allows me to draw a circle at the end of the polyline in any plane.

Now I create a cylinder and I try to use, similar as in the previous examples the center point of the upper circular surface as the center point of my circles or start point of a polyline.

In the first attempt I can create a circle in the same plane as the cylinder surface. Now I try to create a circle or polyline in a different plane with the starting point at the cylinder center point. I change in the menue the plane setting left, right or top as indicated in SCREEN 3 (see attachement), which would not help, in addition I am changing the Isoplane orientation in the menue as per SCREEN 4 (see attachment). Both setting options would not allow me to draw a circle or polyline with starting point at the cylinder center point in any other plane than the plane of the cylinder surface.

In addition I tried a number of setting variations in the DRAFTING SETTING, without any success.

How can I turn this automatic switching of the planes off, so that the system would follow the actual xy plane as set with the UCS?

Fritz

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds like you want to turn off DUCS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

For those interested on the solution of the problem, I found it outmyself:

when you want to turn off the the dynamic UCS (switching the ISOPLANE automatically to the surface plane at the curser location), use the command

UCSDETECT and type in 0 for off (or 1 to switch it back on).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta