Did you mean: 

Is it possible to open separate sessions for each drawing in ACAD 2015

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
468 Views, 8 Replies

Is it possible to open separate sessions for each drawing in ACAD 2015

Is there a way to open up multiple sessions of ACAD for each drawing opened in 2015 instead of just tabs in the same application?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

Strictly speaking, yes.
Open a new session of AutoCAD, then open a drawing in it.

But I suspect you are referring to opening drawings a different way, like double-clicking in Explorer or using the OPEN command inside of AutoCAD?

Can you clarify?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 9
RobDraw

Does single drawing mode still work? I'm away from CAD ATM.

Setting it to 1(?) will only allow one drawing per session.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 9
TheCADnoob

If this is just a one off (not wanting this every time) I believe you can hold down shift when clicking on the AutoCAD icon and it will open two instances of the program. This also works with application like excel

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
RobDraw

Setting SDI to 1 will prevent you from having more than one drawing open per session.

Rob

Message 6 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: RobDraw

IIRC, SDI was deprecated a while back, although it is still a valid system variable in 2017.

Here is a post about this impending move, from 2009: http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/04/sdi-the-end-is-nigh.html

...and a KB article where it says SDI is obsolete: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Multip...

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 9
RobDraw
in reply to: rkmcswain

I absolutely agree that it is outdated, but according to that article, the need for it may still be out there in the coding world. The OP never stated as to why they need it. I would be curious if this is just a preference, or if there is an actual need for it, i.e. for code.

Rob

Message 8 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am following up to see if any of the solutions in this thread answered your question. Here is an AKN Article that suggests the SDI variable as well as associating DWG with AutoCAD rather than the Drawing Launcher might achieve what you are looking for.

Please post your results.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Please take a moment to mark a post or posts as Accepted Solutions if they helped you to resolve your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report