Did you mean: 

Invisible border layer

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
2629 Views, 19 Replies

Invisible border layer

A drawing I am working on has a "Border (ANSI)" layer in the drawing that contains the border and most of the title block.  However, the first sheet of the drawing only shows some of the layer.  It shows basically just the words for the layer but nothing else.  All layers are thawed, unlocked, and view port thawed.  The other sheets after the first one are fine and show everything they are supposed to, including the border.  Also, if I copy the border and setup from a different drawing that has it done properly, when I paste it onto the first sheet of this drawing, it only shows the words still and not the border and lines, even though they were selected and copied.  I've attached a picture of the first page on the drawing that's broken and a picture of the first page of a drawing that's not broken so you can see what is missing.  Nothing appears to be turned off or hidden and it seems as if the border is there, just not visible or interactive.Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (1).png

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
user181
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,  When in that layout tab and in paperspace and not in the viewport look at the VPFreeze column of the layer manager and see if the layers are frozen there. 

EESignature

Message 3 of 20
Patchy

Double click inside the viewport of 1st sheet to activate the viewport, type in VPLAYER, then T for thaw, enter a *, then hit enter key  a few times.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: user181

Like I originally stated, nothing is frozen including in VPFreeze.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

This did not work as nothing is frozen.

Message 6 of 20
Patchy

Even when the viewport is activated?  these photos of the UCS icons showed they are still in paperspace.

Capture.JPGPost your actual .dwg and let's see.

Message 7 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Can you please share the drawing? If it needs to be private you can email it (them?) to me at john.vellek@autodesk.com. Please include a link to this thread in the email. I look forward to determining what might be causing this problem.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 20
cadffm

@Anonymous

"normal" is:

border and most of the title block - placed in Modelspace?

Then jump inside Viewport (command _.mspace) and check VPfreeze - you allready done

border and most of the title block - placed in Layout=Paperspace?

Then jump to paperspace (where you are in your picture (command _.pspace)) and check VPfreeze.

or follow the same steps like Patchy wrote:

type in VPLAYER, then T for thaw, enter a *, then hit enter key  a few times.

Sebastian

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

Not quite sure what you mean by "viewport activated".  I double clicked inside the sheet and it allowed me to type VPLAYER and follow the steps you recommended but they didn't work. 

Message 10 of 20
cadffm

It should work if the border and title is in modelspace and if vpfreeze is the issue,

but if the border and title is in Layout, you have (vp)thaw in Layout.

Only for testing, thaw all layers in all viewports and layouts:

CTAB

SHT 1

VPLAYER

THAW

ALL

enter

enter

Sebastian

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

I followed these steps and nothing changed.

Message 12 of 20
user181

Hi @Anonymous,  Where is the border? Paper or Model space?  If it's in paper go to the tab with the missing layers. Go to layer properties manager palette while in paper and not inside viewport. check the VP Freeze column. Then double click inside viewport and check same column. 

layman.PNG

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
cadffm

Dozens of people could help in seconds, if you could look into the DWG for you.
Is the linetype of the elements Continuous? Is "Show PlostStyles" enabled in the page setup?

Sebastian

Message 14 of 20
user181

Since all we can do is guess I now say the border is a block separate from the remaining title block text and you accidentally erased it in that layout and you can just copyclip & paste from another layout

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
cadffm
in reply to: user181

Or Border+Text(Attributes) and Title is ONE Block and the scaling is very small,

the attributes are not synced with the current blockdefinition.

@Anonymous

If all three items are part of ONE block, select the title-Text and check the X/Y scaling factor.

😄 Competition time, rofl.

Sebastian

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

Just got off the phone with support.  Turns out the block itself had no geometry and was completely undefined.  I had to purge the block from the document and then find a drawing with the proper block and bring that in.  My guess is whoever worked on the drawing before me deleted something from it and didn't have the knowledge to properly fix it which resulted in an improper title/border block.

Message 17 of 20
cadffm

Good!
"the first sheet of the drawing only shows some of the layer.  It shows basically just the words for the layer but nothing else.  All layers are thawed, unlocked, and view port thawed.  The other sheets after the first one are fine and show everything they are supposed to, including the border. "
So inside the other layouts there wasn't the same block?

Or is it a dynamic block? Then it is possible if the loose the link to the main block definition.
In this case you can have a bigger problem when you tried to edit the block in the feature.

Good luck, read you the next time.

Sebastian

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

"So inside the other layouts there wasn't the same block?"

No, the effected block was only on the first page.  The border for the rest of the drawing was defined under a different block.

Message 19 of 20
cadffm

The description sounded different, so nobody asked for your block content.

But importantly, the problem is solved.

Sebastian

Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

Yeah I didn't even think to look at the block content. It was a strange error I hadn't seen before and all the normal fixes like you all suggested didn't work so I had no clue where to go, especially not block contents.  But now I know the fix, shall it ever happen again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report