Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index Colors and CTB

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1916 Views, 9 Replies

Index Colors and CTB

Some of index colors ie 9 of them have a name and Number.

Colors Red 255,0,0, Yellow 255,255,0 and Green 0,255,0 have Number 1 ,2 and 3.

But these have even number 10, 50 and 90.

So my question is why these 9 colors are special?

Sometimes we recieve CTB files from the customer and what I can see is that color Red is converted differently depended on if it is set as 1, 10 or Red and it can be tricky.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BrianBenton
in reply to: Anonymous

These were the original colors in AutoCAD. They had names and number. Once the amount of colors expanded, Autodesk did not name all 255 colors, they just stayed with the numbers.

Brian C. Benton

bbenton@cad-a-blog.com
http://CAD-a-Blog.com
twitter.com/bcbenton
www.facebook.com/CADaBlog

Message 3 of 10
rkmcswain

What @BrianBenton said, and I must add that color 1 (red) is NOT the same as 255,0,0; and this goes for all of the ACI colors (colors 1-255), because ACI colors can be manipulated with a plot style table to print with varying colors and lineweights, while the truecolors (e.g.: 255,0,0) will always print as the color they appear on screen, plot style tables have no effect on these.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: rkmcswain

Yes! This is my understanding too!

When I say that Index colors as Color 1/Red and color 10 are the same I mean they are both 255,0,0 as True Color!

Using a certain CTB replacing all colors with black when I want to print Red as Red I just use 255,0,0 as True Color and CTB would not change it!

The CTB I attached here effects color 1=RED and Color 10 diffrently but both are actually red or 255,0,0 as True Color!

So I was surprised by this behavior of changing both to black but with diffrent Lineweight!

Message 5 of 10
dgorsman

ACI colors 1 and 10 are not both "RED" - that is an equality you are imposing.  Even though they have the same RGB/TrueColor equivalents, 1 != 10.  The name "RED" refers only to ACI color 1.  ACI color 1 is the same as "RED" but ACI color 10 is not.  CTB files have no lookup data for RGB/TrueColor values, so there is no literal equivalence in the way you are thinking.

Yes, I know - this is a *very* literal interpretation of the situation.  But that is sometimes necessary when dealing with hard data.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 10
s.borello

Some of those color numbers represent true colors... they will take precedence over any plot styles you may be using. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: s.borello

Please explain!

Message 8 of 10
BrianBenton

Setting a layer/object to a TRUE COLOR will override the plot style and will print the object as the true color's color.

Brian C. Benton

bbenton@cad-a-blog.com
http://CAD-a-Blog.com
twitter.com/bcbenton
www.facebook.com/CADaBlog

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianBenton

Yes! This is how I do it!

Happy Easter to everybody!

Message 10 of 10
rkmcswain

@Anonymous wrote:

Please explain!

It has been, see post #3 in this thread.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report