Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I might have messed up... My template Layer States

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
payingtoomuch
158 Views, 1 Reply

I think I might have messed up... My template Layer States

So. Thought I had a good handle on layer states.

Had a template all set up with my various layer states for paper space.

Because I had been doing a lot of editing of my layers (not layer states) in another drawing, decided it would be easiest to just copy past the new layers into my template.

The way I decided to do this was to purge ALL the existing layers out of the template. Then copy paste ALL the existing plus the new  layers that were created in the new drawing back into the template drawing.

I found out relatively quickly that my layer filters didn't like this (deleted all the layer info in the filters (At least I think so)... but I can fix that relatively easily so no big deal.

What I wasn't counting on is that it looks like my layer states didn't like that either (but I could be wrong).

Am I right in that I'm going to need to go back and recreate the layer states or am I just not looking at my layer states properly.

I guess the big question for me right now (so I'm not beating my head against this too much for no reason) is can someone explain to me generally how deleting layers in a drawing impacts both layer states and layer filters?

AND if I inadvertantly really screwed this one up if there is any way I can get it all back without too much drama.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Two ideas:

One, once your paste in all your layers plus the new layers from the other drawing back into your template, you should be able to "Restore" the layer state, and when you do that, there is a toggle to check for turning off all layers that were not defined in the original layer state.  Whether you check that box or not, it should restore all the defined layers in the layer state and leave in the new layers too.

You could look for a .bak file from earlier in your day, if one exists, and restore it.  Or you could look for a "Previous Version" of your drawing by right clicking on the file name in Windows Explorer and going to Properties, and then the "Previous Versions" tab.  I believe the latter of the two ideas is dependent though on how your server is setup.

Attitude, not Aptitude, Determines Altitude

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta