i need help objects not matching in model space

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
452 Views, 7 Replies

i need help objects not matching in model space

Hello,

I have a very odd problem. I have a file that for some reason just some of the parts will not match in dimension. I will measure a specific set of lines and it will show 4". Then I will draw an object that is 4" long and try to snap the object to the first 4" object. There is a very noticeable difference in size of the two objects and if I try to measure the distance it tells me that the distance is 0". I will include photos to show you exactly what I mean. Oddly enough it is only parts of the drawing that does this. Two gussets in particular and the orthographic side view of the gussets. Any help on how to fix this issue would be great. I have no idea how this even happens. Also I have many drawings using the same template and have never had this problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
scottwilcox1989
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like the dimension precision is rounding your distances to the nearest inch.

Check your DIMRND and DIMDEC variables settings.

DIMRND determines whether the dimension performs any rounding.

DIMDEC controls the units of linear precision.

Scott Wilcox, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
AutoCAD 2014 Professional
Message 3 of 8
JDMather

Attach the *.dwg file here instead of pretty pictures and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, here is the file. I made green circles around the problem areas. As odd as it may seem only certin parts of the drawing have this issue. Thanks a lot for all the help. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

Message 5 of 8
parkr4st

the only item of interest I found are your parts are of different sizes in the views.  see xlines in the dwg I added.

btw the frame in real life is a 3d object; why is your work 2d? 

Dave

Message 6 of 8
parkr4st

the only item of interest I found are your parts are of different sizes in the views.  see xlines in the dwg I added.

btw the frame in real life is a 3d object; why is your work 2d? 

Dave

Message 7 of 8
scottwilcox1989

The dimension showing as 0" is 1/32" long, but your DIMDEC is set to 1/15".

To get AutoCAD to display this correctly, change the Precision in your Primary Units tab to 1/32", as shown in the attached graphic.

DIMDEC.png

Scott Wilcox, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
AutoCAD 2014 Professional
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: scottwilcox1989

thank you so much that worked great! and as you can see im no pro with AUTOCAD that is why i did the drawing in 2d ortho.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report