Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to accurately project a 2d shape into 3d model.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
marcos9593
578 Views, 8 Replies

How to accurately project a 2d shape into 3d model.

I am having trouble using PROJECTGEOMETRY on a 2d shape against a 3d solid accurately. I have a piece of Velcro that I want to make a curved cavity for. The purpose is to join a dimensioned Velcro piece onto a plastic cover, like a jig/fixture. My results are coming out distorted, the cavity is smaller and doesn’t allow the Velcro to fit inside. How??? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Valentin-WSP
in reply to: marcos9593

@marcos9593 ,

Provide your drawing with the 3D and 2D geometry.

Consider this link:

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 3 of 9
marcos9593
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

Hello Valentin,

I attached a short clip of the PROJECTGEOMETRY, this is what i want however, i need to figure out how to make the projection to scale; 3D printed model with the projection command but the cavity is stretched rather than a natural bend into the 3D model. Could there be a different way to bend the 2d profile.

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards,

Message 4 of 9
schulz8NPAP

Perhaps something like this??

Regards

Jochen

Message 5 of 9
Valentin-WSP

@marcos9593 ,

@marcos9593 wrote:

I am having trouble using PROJECTGEOMETRY on a 2d shape against a 3d solid accurately. ...

how to make the projection to scale. ...

PROJECTGEOMETRY is limited on projecting to scale. I thought about "Parametric", but this is a technology that is used for designing with constraints, which are associations and restrictions applied to 2D geometry. (Link)

I believe another Autodesk software could be more suitable - something like Inventor (See Bend Command) or Revit. 

ValentinWSP_0-1641996831712.png

ValentinWSP_0-1641990253573.png

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 6 of 9
leeminardi

Would it be more accurate to say you want to "wrap" and not "project" the 2D geometry onto a cylinder?  If so then if the length of the 2D shape is L and the radius of the cylinder is R then S = L and the angle subtended is S/R radians.

image.png

lee.minardi
Message 7 of 9
marcos9593
in reply to: schulz8NPAP

Hello! 

How did you do that??

Regards,
Message 8 of 9
marcos9593
in reply to: leeminardi

Good morning,

yes, in this case it seems more of a wrapping Of the 2d shape but the method remains unknown. Any ideas? 
thanks for all the help! 

kind regards, 

Message 9 of 9
schulz8NPAP

Hello and thank you for your interest.

Attached ist the continent of Africa (3DSolid onto a bulb-formed earth 😉 )

You can reach me by

www.black-cad.de

Regards from Germany

Yours Jochen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta