Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change dimensions from metric to imperial in an existing DWG??

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2869 Views, 11 Replies

How do I change dimensions from metric to imperial in an existing DWG??

• So I want to change the dimensions of my drawing to Feet and inches but let the drawing be in millimetres. I tried changing it in dimstyle with a scale factor of 0.03 but it just wouldn't work. Ultimately had to change the units of whole drawing, which messed with my annotations. Please help!
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

factor of 12? That's not the correct math, try again https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/length/inch-to-mm.html

pendean_0-1601316959082.png

OR
Reverse this tip, most of us show both together https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Change-e...
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJsHmKRs_8

Or post your DWG file, let's all have a look at your work

Message 3 of 12
beyoungjr

Assuming you only wish to change the dimension data there is a simple process in the dimension style manager.

You would first need to check if there are multiple styles being used!

If only one style is used then you could use alternate units or scale the primary units by 25.4.  That scale would yeild inch measurements.

If you want to upload your drawing I can have a look and recommend the best solution.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hey,that was my bad. Tried the scale factor of 0.03 since I'm converting millimetres to feet and inches. Still wouldn't work. The measure remained in millimetres but the suffix changed to ". 

Message 5 of 12
beyoungjr

In the dimension style manager, MODIFY your style on the primary units tab to use Architectural units.  Then use .03937 as your scale factor.

Any help?

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 6 of 12
cadffm

For Top-Level dimensions (not nested in Blocks) it should work, this is the right way.

Possible issues:

a) Perhaps you editing the wrong dimstyle?

b) Your only checked the existing dimensions and they dimlfac is overwritten

Please create a NEW dimension, is it working for this new one?

If yes, and you are edited the right dimstyle (select one "old" dimension, command LIST, check the dimstyle of this dimension),

Is this dimscale you edited?

then the dimlfac of the existing dimension are overwritten.

Not a problem: Use Qselect to select all dimension of this dimstyle

and start command DIMOVERRIDE, DIMLFAC and then Option C

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
Allan-Wise

Please can we follow the lead of Tesla and Spacex and use metric. Did you know Imperial units are officially defined from metric base units. Metric units are defined by scientific principles. Metric is the future, imperial is going out..... Mixing units leads to drafting errors.

Message 8 of 12

OP and I had a similar problem and this solution worked for me. May I ask how 03937 was derived for the scale factor?
Message 9 of 12

Centimeter(1) / Inch (2.54) = 0.393700787401575

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

Thank you for the scale factor!
Message 11 of 12

You can get that to the maximum precision AutoCAD is capable of, but with less code, by putting it in this way:

(/ 1 2.54)

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 12
changmarin

Every reply is correct, but I would like to share my experience.  Here in Panama we work with both measure systems side by side at once, plywood in feet and inches (4'x8'x1/2") and floor plans in meters.  Depending if you are working in mm then the conversion 1 inch = 25.4 mm would be your choice; but if the drawing is in meters 1 meter = 39.37 inches must be used.

IMPERIAL DIMS ON METRIC UNITS.png

Ch.-

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta