Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can objects from one hatch be made islands for another hatch?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
edushka228
880 Views, 14 Replies

How can objects from one hatch be made islands for another hatch?

The task is to make the objects of one hatch be islands for other hatchings. How to realise it?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
CGBenner
in reply to: edushka228

@edushka228 

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are you able to select the hexagons as additional boundaries for defining your Hatch area?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 15
edushka228
in reply to: CGBenner

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Both of these objects are hatchings. I can make the hexagons islands if I apply the EXPLODE command to them and then paint the area with another hatch. But solving the problem manually is not something I need to do. I would like to know if this can be done at the programming level or using the Autocad Object Model

Message 4 of 15
CGBenner

@edushka228 

Ok, thank you.  I understand now.  I did not catch that the hexagons were also a Hatch patterns.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 15
pendean

@edushka228 You want a hatch of hexagon-shapes to be recognized as hexagons while remaining a hatch when you add another hatch? Sadly AutoCAD is not capable of that function.
Message 6 of 15
TomBeauford

You could create a hatch pattern with all the lines you want but you cannot use existing hatch lines to define the boundary of another hatch and it would be a very time consuming task.

You could also or search for a similar pattern online as there are hundreds out there.

There are a few aftermarket software options for creating them as well as the SUPERHATCH (Express Tool) that comes installed with AutoCAD Express Tools.

https://www.google.com/search?q=download+hatch+patterns

https://www.google.com/search?q=hatch+pattern+maker+autocad

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 7 of 15
edushka228
in reply to: TomBeauford

How to implement such functionality? What language is needed for this? AutoLISP or just LISP?

Message 8 of 15
Kent1Cooper

Do you use that very same combination repeatedly, with the line elements always at the same angle and spacing relative to the size of the hexagons?  If so, it's conceivable that a single Hatch pattern definition could produce the hexagons and the parallel lines.  But it might need the line spacing to be something specific that might be slightly different from the image, in order for the line elements to meet the hexagons in a regular way that would be possible in a Hatch pattern definition.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 15
edushka228
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I'd like to combine different hatches, and it doesn't matter what any of them look like.

There are four shadings here. I would like to define their overlapping by the order in which these hatchings are added

Message 10 of 15
TomBeauford

Create a copy of the Hexagon hatch pattern and give it a new name.

In order to make repeating lines that fit that pattern of hexagons you need to start with adding a line on the same angle as the hexagons are and adjusting the start point to be the midpoint coming out of the hexagon and ending at the midpoint entering the next hexagon.

Adding four more lines on the same angle afterward equally spaced two of which would be easy as they should miss the hexagons completely.

About Custom Hatch Patterns and Hatch Pattern Definitions https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2025/ENU/?guid=GUID-A6F2E6FF-1717-44B6-A476-0CA817ADD77E

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 11 of 15
edushka228
in reply to: TomBeauford

I know about how to create custom hatches. I thought I could find a lisp script that allows you to overlay islands of hatches on top of each other

Message 12 of 15
Kent1Cooper

@edushka228 wrote:

.... I can make the hexagons islands if I apply the EXPLODE command to them and then paint the area with another hatch. ....

I think you may be stuck with that approach.  But to a degree, that could be automated for you.  A routine could make a copy of the Hatch pattern, Explode it, save the pieces to a selection set, start the other Hatch operation for you, and when you're done with that, get rid of the pieces of the Exploded one.  Does that sound worth pursuing?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 15
JamesMaeding

@edushka228 

Yes, that can be done using autolisp or .net (c# typically used).

A script is a different thing, just so you know the terms.

What the tools would do is gather the geometry involved from hatches, lines, whatever you pick, and construct the hatch with islands. But it would just be rewriting the hatch command so why bother?

The input would be about the same.

You need to explain that more as you might be better off using a solid hatch, then wipeouts to mask the blank areas.

You can xclip the blocks to the edge of the hatch all at once. That keeps things separate as hatch islands are kind of a pain to deal with IMO.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 14 of 15
edushka228
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Who can I ask for help in developing such a lisp program?

Message 15 of 15
pendean

@edushka228 wrote:

Who can I ask for help in developing such a lisp program?

The three customization forums are listed here if you wish to repost with more details

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-customization/ct-p/AutoCADTopic1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta