Help with Mesh settings

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
410 Views, 4 Replies

Help with Mesh settings

Hello,

I've been trying many things in my Autocad 2017 or 18 regarding meshed, but I can't seem to get the right results. I'm trying to convert either a solid or a surface to a mesh, but the mesh is very very rough, maybe 6 or 7 faces, doesn't even resemble the original object. I've played with variables SMOOTHMESHGRID, SMOOTHMESHMAXFACE and SMOOTHMESHMAXLEV. Anything I enter, it doesn't change my mesh result. What am I doing wrong? The picture shows the surface (red) and converted into mesh (yellow). How can I increase the mesh precision to look like the surface on the left?

Any help appreciated !

mesh.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> I'm trying to convert either a solid or a surface to a mesh

Please upload a drawing with the object you have and you want to convert.

It depends on that type of object (and sometimes how it was created) what workflow you need to use to get a better result.

>> Anything I enter, it doesn't change my mesh result

Also change your visual style to a rendered one (like "Realistc"), sometimes the smoothness can be better seen in that style.

May be important: let us know the reason why you try to convert objects to a mesh. What's the goal?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

The drawing is attached. Visual styles don't show anything smoother.

The reason I need a mesh and not a 3D solid is that I need to import this into Vectric VCarve Pro software to create a CNC program. It doesn't work with DWG files so I need DXF with a mesh. I used to do this by exporting the object as IGES file into Rhinoceros, then in Rhino I would convert that into a mesh and save it. Then that was imported into Vectric and the rest was done there.

But I think I should be able to do my work in Acad and create the mesh, why go through another piece of software. I can't believe Autocad is not capable of creating a usable mesh to work with. I tried converting 3D solid into mesh, or a surface to a mesh, no difference.

I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right, but can't figure it out.

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

please look to the attached video, does that help?

In the dialog of command _MESHOPTIONS you have additional settings to defined the mesh-density.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I knew it was possible, thanks a lot, you saved me some time here definitely. I'll experiment with that little more later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report