Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 3D drawing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
545 Views, 8 Replies

Help with 3D drawing

I am attempting to draw out a go kart chassis through autocad with little to NO experience. I have been watching videos as well as do my reading on the forum.

I am a more visual person so anything visual that you can for me, id really appreciate it.

So far, ive done my 3D drawing in 2d mode on autocad 2017. I became slightly familiar with the extrude function. So I used that for the wheels with the rear axle and front part of my chassis. Can anyone help me draw out ALL parts of my chassis in 3D?

Ive been trying to draw cylinders in the right view, but fail to do so.

I attached my .dwg file so maybe you can give me a hand as to what to do next.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

It looks like you are making progress.

Might I make a suggestion here? Why don't you start by drawing the structure from a side view (elevation)? That will give you straight, clean pieces that you can press-pull or extrude into the proper depth. Once you have a side built then you can make it a block. This will help you duplicate it easily for the opposite side.

side.PNG

Read up on UCS so you can draw elements in the correct plane.

frame.PNG

I have attached my sample for you to look at. Let me know if this gets you started or if you need more info.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi @john.vellek

yea thank you. Its slowly coming together.

Can you explain to me exactly how you were able to draw the rail on a side view and how did you exactly construct it?

Were you in WCS right view? Did you set UCS a certain way?

Message 4 of 9
leeminardi

I find it easier to build a frame by first creating the centerlines of the tubing and angle irons then using Sweep along with a circle or "ell" shape to make beams.  Polylines with multiple segments will be swept as one piece making construction easier and yielding cleaner corners. Use mirror3d as much as possible to save time.

Good luck!

~Lee

frame.JPG

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

You can obviously draw this many ways. I kept myself in the WCS Top view, drew the shape, press-pulled it and then used 3Drotate to flip it in the vertical direction.

@leeminardi's method of using sweep is another great way to get this done but I encourage beginners to build it "stick by stick" so you keep in mind not only the process but that you are also reflecting real world materials, joints, and construction.

Keep going and post your status so the Community can help you progress. Thanks @leeminardi for the great suggestion.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Some point to consider:

Cylinders are extruded from the XY plane of the current UCS, UNLESS you use the "Axis Endpoint" option and point to the other end of the cylinder. 

Beginners should probably use constructions lines as suggested earlier, but once you begin to understand the functions of the basic 3D solid commands they are no longer necessary, if you know enough to draw the line, you know enough to build the solid.

push-pull grips can sometimes get lost when editing 3D solids, so become familiar with commands like SOLIDEDIT and SLICE.

3DROTATE is an excellent tool to build proficiency but frequently ALIGN can be faster.

Message 7 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I have not tried to work on the drawing after all the suggestions. I'll be working on it this weekend and will reply back when I have some results

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
Message 9 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I look forward to seeing your progress. Please post your results!

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta