Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have You Tried . . . August Edition

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
dieters
10846 Views, 20 Replies

Have You Tried . . . August Edition

This month, we’re featuring an article on how to Insert Blocks Quickly with Tool Palettes

If you insert a lot of blocks into your drawing, this feature might be able to save you a ton of time!

Check it out.

In previous issues articles, we covered topics such as dynamic blocks, page setups, accelerated dimensioning, and so on. See what you think of them. We’re always open to your feedback and suggestions.

- Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Principal Learning Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: dieters

We love using tool palettes where I work.

The properties menu of these tools gives you a lot of insertion options too.

Which in some cases is the only way to do this. (I think so anyway)

For example inserting at different visibility, or any other parameter option it seems

There are so many other reasons to use tool palettes as well.

You can also drag commands into them from the CUI command list.

p.PNG

Message 3 of 21
dieters
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Josh,

Exactly. And for someone like me, who often forgets to set the current layer, preset properties is a huge time saver!  

Thanks for adding your endorsement for this terrific component. I'm hoping that a lot of people who haven't tried it before will take a few minutes to discover how easy it is. Also with docking and Auto-hide turned on, access is much easier (I usually dock/anchor the Layer Properties Manager and the Properties palette on the same edge as well).

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

Sounds like our user interface looks much the same. I also keep properties, palettes, and layer properties docked.

I have two monitors so I don't use auto-hide though. 

Another great feature of the tool palettes is the ability to export and share them with co workers.

"And for someone like me, who often forgets to set the current layer, preset properties is a huge time saver!"

I agree this feature is huge. Especially because blocks will print according to the layer they are inserted on, not what they look like. For example our viewport layer is set up to not print and it never fails that some blocks get placed on this layer. You won't notice until you have plotted the drawing in most cases. 

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

While I have your attention I would like to point out that when you copy and paste an object in the palettes it default pastes at the bottom of the palette. I spend a lot of time organizing my palettes and this would be a huge timer saver. Where would be the best place for me to suggest this fix? 

Thank you for your attention!

Joshua Mowry | Draftsman

FD-DD-2.jpg

Message 6 of 21
dieters

Instead of using the Windows Clipboard, you can drag a selected object to the Tool Palette window directly to the location you want. This seems like a better option than pasting it . . . or am I missing something? 

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

That is true but I'm talking about copy and paste within the palette to keep some properties. We are using some the same blocks within a palette with a few property changes like scale or default visibility. What you're suggesting is good for the first instance but if you were to do that for every instance of the block you needed you would start with default options for each one. Copy and paste keeps the custom properties. It just puts it at the bottom of the palette.

Message 8 of 21
dieters

Josh,

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Dragging a selected object into the list on a palette both keeps its custom properties (that were set in the drawing) and lets you locate the tool as well. Maybe if you could provide a stepped example, it would help. Sorry about that.

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 9 of 21
cadffm

@dieters

It sounds you are only talking about drag&drop from drawing editor or (cui dialog) to the toolpalette,

but your answer "dragging instead copy&paste" is still the right one 😉

@Anonymous

"dragging instead copy&paste" is the solution for your problem.

Like in "all" other windows software dragging is sometime a MOVE function and sometimes a COPY function.

Win Explorer:  drag a file from one to another folder on the same drive = MOVE, to another drive = COPY

In Situation when dragging is in MOVE mode you can force the copy mode by pressing CTRL

Try it: Press and hold! the left mouse button on a tool of your toolpalette, move the mouse in toolpalette area,

the MOVE mode is current, now press [CTRL] and you will see it changes to the COPY mode (like in WinExplorer).

For change between different palettes from/to, stay on the target palette"tab", it will set to current and you can place your copy there.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Thank you so much! I have been frustrated by this for months Smiley LOL @cadffm

Thank you also for the help! @dieters

Message 11 of 21
dieters

@cadffm,

Thanks for the great tip for copying tools on a palette! I just finished adding it to the Help documentation, which should become available the next time we push another Help update. It's amazing how after many years, there's always something more to discover in AutoCAD in terms of tips or techniques.

I guess my biggest challenge is how to improve spreading the knowledge. Most people are simply too slammed for time to take better advantage of the features available. On the other hand, I bet many people could cut their time in half on a lot of their work. Effectively, this could double their productivity and the value they receive for the price of their subscription.

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 12 of 21
cadffm

your welcome

....the next time we push another Help update...

Then you can have this help page corrected right away (all? language versions, at least the German [EDIT] and "all" versions[EDITEND]):

To Create a Command Tool That Executes a Custom Command Sequence (Advanced)
http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-0AC1281C-36E0-47F6-92A3-394A8A25495B

Here is it right: About Creating and Using Command Tools
http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-0E9A5443-4D6A-4C53-B3C9-A21FD97EC9FA

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 13 of 21
dieters

@cadffm,

Yep. Thanks for the heads up! I just finished correcting the Help topic that you pointed out.

We're still collecting and fixing additional Help topics. The next Help update will be published in the October time frame. Localized versions appear about a week later.

Please let me know if you find other Help errors either by posting it here or through the AutoCAD Feedback alias (yes, I read them all).

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

how to try

Message 15 of 21
cadffm

Open your ToolPalette [CTRL]+[3]

Create your own palette by rightclicking on tabs

Draw what you want (a red line, or a circle on "MyLayer"),

then drag&drop the object from drawing editor to your new palette.

Example with hatches:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/video/youtube/watch-v-4ki2HEAT2Gk....

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
dieters

@Anonymous

Delighted to hear that you're on track now!

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 17 of 21

Just had a quick question,

Tool pallet loojs promising, I was thinking about implementing this in our office.

In the long run, when we change or update the blocks in original file, does it automatically get updated in the pallet as well? Or we have to do it manually?

Thanks,

Message 18 of 21

Good question. Unlike Xrefs, which do indeed update automatically, block definitions are saved in the drawing regardless of their source and must be updated manually. This is done on purpose to maintain "as built" or "revision" conditions in your drawings. Blocks can include "attributes" such as part number, cost, vendor, and other data that you typically wouldn't want to be automatically updated.

Hope this helps,

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 19 of 21
cadffm

I think the question was another one.

When you create Insert-Tools, no block or file content copies to the palette.
You only save the path to the file/block, so it is very important from where you drag the file or block to the palette.
If you move or delete the source file, your Insert-Tool can not find what you want to insert.

Your Toolpalette (and the blocks) are every time uptodate.

It works like the INSERT command:
You want to insert block "Blk1",
if a block "Blk1" is availabe in your drawing, command insert will insert a reference of this blockdefinition.
Isn't block "Blk1" available in the drawing, insert get the external definition (if available).

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
dieters

Good point, CADffm. That's indeed a different question and your advice is excellent regarding the location of block libraries. In summary

- Block definitions in drawings do not update automatically

- Block tools in tool palettes will update from the source if the block definition is not present in the drawing, but will not update if the block definition is already present in the drawing.

Thanks,

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report