hatch_export_ issues

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1165 Views, 8 Replies

hatch_export_ issues

This is what I do for our customer:

AUTOCAD: Use the Circle command to create a circle. Use Hatch command to fill it with a solid pattern. Finishing the figure, I Export to a .wmf file

MICROSOFT WORD: Insert the .wmf file into a document. Then export into a .pdf.

PROBLEM: While in Word I export the file to a .pdf. reviewing the Microsoft word generated .pdf, the solid hatch pattern is slightly shifted over the circle "boundary" .

NOTE: USING THE .PDF PLOT OPTION IN AutoCAD is not an option!

Thanks in advance for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

• I went through the steps you suggested. I used AutoCAD 2017.
  • I created a circle and hatched it with a SOLID pattern.
  • I then performed a WMFOUT
  • I started MS Word 2016 (Office 365) and dragged the WMF into the document.
  • I saved as a PDF . 
  • Opening the PDF that was saved out of MS Word looks correct.

What step did I miss?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

look to my doc and pdf ... any shifting visible?

If not, then please give us a bit more data

• drawing with the circle
  • your wmf (whatfor do you need that, doesn't copy & paste work?)
  • your word file
  • your pdf file
  • AutoCAD version
  • Word version

With the current info I even don't know if that is AutoCAD specific 😉

I used AutoCAD 2018 to create circle and hatch + copy & paste to word 2016 + print to PDFCreator

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 9

Hi @Alfred.NESWADBA,

Thanks for pointing out the gap in my PDF that was created from MS Word.

I went back to look at the WMF from AutoCAD and even zoomed in really tight (I used Adobe Illustrator to examine) It looks correct.Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 12.24.22 PM.png

This tells me that the issue is not AutoCAD but how one produces the PDF from Word.

Thanks Alfred!

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred. . .

Your's looks fine

Attached is what I'm dealing with. Zoom in very close and you'll see the blue hatch pattern and the blue circle are not quite aligned. Granted you must zoom in quite far, but the engineer that I'm supporting wants perfect, hence my problem!

More details:

AutoCAD 2017 2D file exported to .wmf file.

That file inserted as a picture into a Microsoft 2016 word document.

That file exported as .pdf

Bottom line:

As yours does it look fine in AutoCAD and Microsoft Word. It's when you .pdf the word file that it doesn't!

Appreciate you assistance!

Scott R. Marquiss
(703) 731-9822
Message 6 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Attached is what I'm dealing with

Sorry, nothing attached here.

Please use an Internet browser and the button "Reply" in the forum instead of answering by a mail system to attach files.

>> Your's looks fine

Then let's start how you create the PDF from MS-Word ... I guess you used "save-as" in MS-Word, am I correct? I used print to PDFCreator.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. As both @Alfred.NESWADBA and I suggest, the issue appears to be the way you are creating the PDF from MS Word. Why don't you try a few different PDF drivers to see which works best for your process?

Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 9
beyoungjr

Hi,

I followed your steps like @john.vellek and it worked out ok here as well.  If your problem persists  may I offer another method?

When I generate assignment documents for my classes I typically prepare the MS Word doc with necessary instructions and then I just take a screenshot of my ACAD drawing layout by pressing ALT+PRTSC (print screen).  This captures only the active windows data into the Windows clipboard.  I then use CTRL+V to paste the screenshot into my MS Word doc.  I remove the extra ACAD window data by double-clicking the new image in MS word and selecting the Crop function on the ribbon.  Then I can tweak anything else about the image after cropping the image to only what's required.

I also use Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) quite a bit so I actually find the print to PDF very helpful even though it's not an option for you.

Cheers!

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 9 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: beyoungjr

HI @beyoungjr,

Thanks for your post! I like to use the Windows Snipping Tool too as it gives you a bit more control and a little markup capability before saving to a PNG or pasting into the document.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report