Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

graphics GTX 1060 insufficient for AutoCAD 2018?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
41287 Views, 15 Replies

graphics GTX 1060 insufficient for AutoCAD 2018?

Just after downloading AutoCAD 2018 onto my computer, a pop up notification informed me that the 'hardware acceleration is on' because my 'graphics card does not meet the recommended criteria'.

I bought my computer (the Razer Blade 2017) specifically so that it could deal with demanding software like AutoCAD and so I made sure to have a very fast graphics card - the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM).

I have seen in Autodesk's certified recommended hardware that other, less powerful, NVIDIA products are compatible with its software. Therefore I was shocked to see this notification and now feel confused as to how the graphics card in my computer is somehow insufficient.

Can someone tell me why this notification came up, and/or how to make sure my computer is fully capable of using AutoCAD?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
beyoungjr
in reply to: Anonymous

Just because it has not been certified by Autodesk yet doesn't mean it won't handle your work.  The message pops because it isn't yet certified and on the almighty list.

Most users just ignore and proceed with working.  Good for you and your attention to details.

If you experience any issues with screen activity that seems peculiar you can simply turn off the embedded hardware acceleration in graphics configuration.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 16
pendean

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 is a very popular choice with AutoCAD users: it's a good option.
Message 4 of 16
gotphish001

It will work fine. I wouldn't sweat it. As blyoung said you get that pop up for any card that isn't certified. You could be running four 600 dollar cards in dual SLI mode and still get that pop up if the cards aren't on the list of certified. 

My laptop has 970gtx in it which was top of the line when I bought it, but it wasn't on the list either at the time so I got the pop up. It runs it fine. In fact it still runs it better than my 6 month old work station at work which has a certified card in it even though the laptop is years old. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you everyone! Your replies have really helped 🙂
Message 6 of 16
braudpat

Hello

A few years ago, people were using GTX 960/970/980/980TI ...

Now GTX 1060/1070/1080/1080TI

Depending on your budget ?!

These cards are excellent for ADSK software and others...

NO SLI !!

Regards, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
crab123
in reply to: braudpat

Hi Guys.

I've just bought a computer with the same graphics card and I'm trialing AutoCad LT 2018 and it is running terribly and hatching is a nightmare. My old computer and 2008 LT performed brilliantly but the new computer has forced the 2008 LT to stop working due to Windows 10. 

Any help you could offer would be brilliant!

Message 8 of 16
braudpat

Hello

The problem is not the graphic card !

Which processor exactly ?
How much Ram in Gb ?
Which Windows ?

Have you the problem on some specific DWGs ?
If YES, have you tried to open them in RECOVER mode... PURGE... Re-save...

2D or 3D ?
Which size ?

Regards, Patrice
Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: crab123

Have a GFORCE GTX 1060 video card, and have had trouble hatching and showing blocks correctly and in the right draw order for months. Just tried entering the 3DCONFIG command, and turning OFF the hardware acceleration slider.

All my hatches and blocks displayed properly right away.

Give it a try....

Message 10 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> turning OFF the hardware acceleration slider

Turning off hardware acceleration is a good test in case there are issues with the graphic.

But buying a GTX1070 and then don't use hardware acceleration can't be the solution!

In most cases update (or downgrade) the driver to get AutoCAD working with your graphic card and having hw-acceleration active.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 16
crab123

Thanks for your response.

I've done that and it certainly helped.

I ended up working with one of the technicians at Autodesk and through a
number of commands was able to get a great outcome.

Cheers
Message 12 of 16
brent.nesom

So I am having a similar issue. I have a great computer with 32GB of ram, good Processors, and a Solid State Drive. I also have the GTX 1060 and my AutoCAD won't open certain files. On the inverse my coworkers have the Quadro 4800, 8GB of RAM, similar Processors and they can open the file just fine. 

Any ideas to what the issue may be?

Message 13 of 16

Hi,

>> and my AutoCAD won't open certain files

What does that mean "AutoCAD won't open files"? ... it shows a message like "I don't want to open that" or what happens? 😉

By default: If AutoCAD can work with one file but not with another file does not mean that the source of the problem is the graphic card, at least only in very few situations (like dwg-file was saved with a visual style active which is not well supported with the driver of the graphic card).

But first we need to know what happens when you open such a file ...

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 16

When I say "AutoCAD won't open files", I mean that sometimes it takes a long long time, almost 10 minutes, while other times it has a fatal error and shuts down the program. 

I guess when I open it and it does work, moving around in the file is very sluggish and take a very long time for me to even move my cursor from one place to the other. 

Message 15 of 16

Hi,

>> I mean that sometimes it takes a long long time, almost 10 minutes,

>> while other times it has a fatal error and shuts down the program

If the same file opens well on another system then you should look more into the installation of AutoCAD, compare type, version and update of your products (command _ABOUT).

Compare the object enabler that are installed on your systems.

Compare the additional tools/plugins/applications that are installed to run in AutoCAD.

To verify a graphic card issue for long opening files ... let your other guy open that file, go to modelspace, change the visual style in the modelspace to "2D Wireframe", save and close the file.

Start AutoCAD on your system, disable hardware acceleration (command _GRAPHICSCONFIG), then open that file on your system then ... if it is now slow too or crashes, it's not the graphic card as source of your problem.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: crab123

i have graphics gtx 1050 and i have the same problem could you please help me with the solution provided by the autodesk technician. it would be of great help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost