Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Maps to Autocad - Best Practices - High Resolution Input.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RockyBrown4134
3527 Views, 6 Replies

Google Maps to Autocad - Best Practices - High Resolution Input.

I have been asked to explore a new adventure. We are looking to put our campus facility on a AutoCAD drawing. We would like to locate the buildings, roads, fences, etc. as accurately as possible. We would then like to add utilities, such as water, sewer, drainage, gas, and other miscellaneous items. We are using Autodesk Plant Design Suite Ultimate.

I have searched the AutoCAD Discussion Group and have read several topics. I have imported in Google Map images and the resolution of the image files are not like I would have hoped for. I was wondering if there was another way to have a higher resolution image? I have Downloaded Google Earth Pro, but I don't know if I have gotten what I really want. We do not do this type of drafting on a daily bases. But we would like to know how we can get the job done efficiently.

As always, I have turned to this group, who in the past I have always valued and appreciated your input. I need your help once again.

• Is there a better way to achieve the process of getting a Google Map into AutoCAD? 
  • Or any other mapping source?
  • Higher resolution for more accuracy?  

Any and all opinions or comments are welcome. Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Moderator: Please feel free to move this post to the appropriate discussion group, if needed.

Thanks again everyone! 

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

Rocky,

Local government sources have the most recent and high-rez aerial photos.

ESRI's ArcGIS for AutoCAD images are usually better than either Bing or Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNwryH_Aa8

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7

Moderator:

FYI.... Mapping will be done in AutoCAD Configuration, 2D drafting.  We did not plan on using it in Plant 3D or P&ID.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 4 of 7

Moderator;

With all due respect, can this post be moved back to the General AutoCAD discussion Group, since we are trying to do this in AutoCAD 2D configuration?

Also, I don't feel I'm getting any responses here.

Thanks.

Rocky Brown
Message 5 of 7

Hi @RockyBrown4134,

I hope that by moving your thread to the AutoCAD forum you will see some more responses.

I like @Pointdump would start by looking at government resources as the quality of the imagery is usually much better than web based ones.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

Rocky,

Local government sources have the most recent and high-rez aerial photos.

ESRI's ArcGIS for AutoCAD images are usually better than either Bing or Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNwryH_Aa8

Dave

True it may be but the OP may not be able to use the format that the GIS community uses in vanilla AutoCAD. To the OP (Rocky) I suggect you look at getting a seat of AutoCAD Map3D for this not only for the images but also for the utilities, streets and etc. you want to add to the maps. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 7

We would like to locate the buildings, roads, fences, etc. as accurately as possible.

Hire a surveyor, because [as accurately as possible] and [tracing from images] are contradictory!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report