Google Earth Overlay

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
11701 Views, 7 Replies

Google Earth Overlay

Hi,

I have a project coming up that I need to overlay google earth imagery onto site plans. What would be the best workflow for this ? Is it best to use an add in like CADearth or Plex Earth ?

Thanks in Advance
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

if you really need Google Earth then you need a plugin, if it's ok to have Bingmaps aerial images you can use command _GEOGRAPHICLOCATION (>>>details<<<) or - in case you use Map3D or Civil3D command _GEOMAP (>>>details<<<).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
leeminardi

Are you looking to take  geometry created in AutoCAD into Google Earth or do you want to place a Google Earth image into AutoCAD?

If the latter, you could do a screen capture in Google Earth and insert the image into AutoCAD.  By using 2 identifiable points in your site plan (e.g., the corner of a building) and the Google Earth image you can scale and rotate the image to align with the site plan.  Use draworder to place the image behind your site plan geometry.

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for the posts, reason I was looking for google maps is the bing maps used in geolocation are out of date. I will try the method above if I needed a hi res image what would be the method ?

Thanks
Charlie
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Try this:  >>Link<<

Júnior Nogueira.

Por favor,  Aceitar como Solução se meu post te ajudar.

Please Accept as Solution if my post helps you.

Message 6 of 8
jggerth

From the sound of things, you are needing aerials?  Availability of (free) resources is dependent on the location you are working with.  In Florida for example, the DOT provides generally decent aerial imagery online.  Typically they fly areas every few years, and the most recent flights have 1ft resolution.  I normally download by county for the regions i work in.

check with your local DOT, or state/county/municipality GIS department and see what they offer.

If you're willing to pay for it, there are a number of aerial imagery companies that make a living doing high quality, high resolution georeferenced photography that you could use.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for all the posts. Will have a look at all the methods.

Thanks
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

To integrate Google Maps, OpenStreetMaps, ... in AutoCAD we use Spatial Manager for AutoCAD. It allows us to establish dynamic background maps in AutoCAD that is updated as we make view changes and captures can be made to embed them in the DWGs (as an external image or as an OLE object).

See: Adding OpenStreetMap or Google Maps objects to your maps

Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report