Fractional dimension with custom denominator

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
379 Views, 3 Replies

Fractional dimension with custom denominator

Hi,

Is it possible to create dimensions with fractions having denominators other than 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc...

If I wanted to have a dimension that read 18 1/6" inch (because that is the actual length), is that possible?

I have tried changing the UNITS and [DIMSTYLE -> Primary Units -> Unit format:] and [DIMSTYLE -> Primary Units -> Precision:] but the dimension always has a denominator that satisfies DENOMINATOR =  2^X. It seems (that is the pattern).

I am not a heavy AutoCAD user and I did search but couldn't find anything. I may be missing something fundamental here.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no such standard scale as 1/6, no one would be able to measure a print set to that scale: what industry are you in, what are you actually trying to accomplish with this odd scale?

And is your Boss or unlucky print recipient aware of what you are going to create using 1/6 scale?

Message 3 of 4
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: Anonymous

For some discussion of the complications involved in denominators other than powers of 2, see this thread.

[... and @pendean, it's not about a non-standard scale, but about fraction denominators in dimension text.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Got it, thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report