Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export open surface as STL

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
800 Views, 3 Replies

Export open surface as STL

I'm trying to use AutoCAD to create models for my CFD simulations (done in a third-party software). In particular, i need a set of STL files as output from AutoCAD.

While one file contains the whole model being a full, closed volume, the other files should be used as reference to single surface parts of the whole model's surface. The latter thus are infintely thin and have open borders.

The whole model exports fine with the built-in "Eport as STL" command (STLOUT). But i haven't found a way to export only parts of my surface - STLOUT tells my the objects have to be "volume bodies" or "dense meshes". In addition i need those parts to keep their original coordinates, they shouldn't be shifted in respect to the whole model.

Is this possible in AutoCAD? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

>>>...- STLOUT tells my the objects have to be "volume bodies" or "dense meshes"...<<<
You answered your own question.

Can you share your DWG file and highlight the partial area you want to export to STL? There might be other options if someone had your model in hand to test with... .
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for your answer! It's only part of my question that i answered myself 😉

Please see the attached DWG file which is a simplified case of my models. All the colored layers (east, west, south, top, truck, ...) are the ones i need to export in an STL file - each in its own.

My hope was that there exists a workaround, without need to THICKEN each single face in order to make them volume bodies.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

To answer my own question (again): I assume there is no way to do this in AutoCAD since there exist special, commercial, addons for this purpose (export single faces in their own STL files).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report