Errors with Extrusion/Making Surfaces 3D

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mes063
649 Views, 3 Replies

Errors with Extrusion/Making Surfaces 3D

Hi!

I was curious if anyone knows how I may be able to make extrusions without the errors shown in my file below. The errors are that when I extrude my surfaces the vertices where two line segments combine overlap and extend too far out and don't form a perfect point/vertex. 

In the second file I attached, I thought I may have more luck with extruding the 3d line segments instead of the whole surface. However, I am trying to figure out if there is a way to choose the direction of extrusion (this actually may be my issue above as well).

Anyone know how to change/choose direction of extrusion?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
fatal.error
in reply to: mes063

You can achieve that by thickening a solid:

1. Join 3 dots with a 3d Polyline. One for each face.
  2. Type convtosurface to turn all the 3d Polylines into individual surfaces.
  3. Type union to merge them into a solid. Get rid of overlapping duplicates if any.
  4. Type thicken to extrude along face's normals.

Please see the attached step-by-step file.

Message 3 of 4
mes063
in reply to: fatal.error

Thank you so much!

Message 4 of 4
mes063
in reply to: fatal.error

I had to adjust my model and now I am having issues converting the faces into surfaces. I have individual polylines. When you said "join 3 dots with a polyline" I am not sure exactly what you meant. 

In the past I have converted my model from nodes and polylines to meshes to 3d surfaces, but now I am unable to do so. When I use the convtosurface command, it filters out my objects. 

I will attach my file below. Let me know if you have any recommendations. Thank you so much for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report