Did you mean: 

Engraving single line font

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tom89Y38
7123 Views, 8 Replies

Engraving single line font

Hello,

I wanna optimize the process in our sheet metal company.

1) We draw in Inventor

2) We use an app from the app store to publish files into 2D autocad files (files that can send to the lasercutting machine)

For optimizing the process I wanna engrave all the partnumbers into the sheet metal plates. Publishing it from Inventor to Autocad is not a problem.

The problem that I'm facing is the fact that engraving the text cost a lot of time for the machine.

If i use the command "txtexp" in autocad, it makes vectors from al the selected text so the machine can handle it, the text is converted in a lot of small lines. Each line comes with a 'start engraving' and 'stop engraving' function in the machine.

Now I found a font on the internet that may be a solution for me, all the signs are connected, so there is only 1 start and 1 stop point. This would save lots of time. The problem is, if i explode this text into vectors, it creates a double lined text, and all the signs look separated again.

The question:

Are there single line fonts available, with all the signs connected that I can use for CNC laser engraving? 

(pictures in attachment)

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: tom89Y38

Hi @tom89Y38,

I am not personally aware of a text style that has all the characters connected.  I will do a little looking to see if I can find anything for you.

In the mean time, I did find this plug-in in the Autodesk App Store that might prove useful to you.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9
tom89Y38
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately this app is not what I'm looking for.

I'm also wondering how other people engrave with the laser cutting machine without loosing lots of time.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

You will need to fix the broken lines to be fewer or keep trying/testing with other fonts (popular is one called Rubberstamp LET): once you identify the workflow and correct font you'll never waste time with it again.

This site has great tips http://www.cutlasercut.com/resources/drawing-guidelines/autocad
Message 5 of 9
john.vellek

HI @tom89Y38,

I am sorry the plugin was not useful.  Did you check the URL provided by Dean? It does seem to have quite a bit of useful tips.

I am curious how you would use the font with "connected" characters. What kind of engraving are you doing?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 9
schulz8NPAP

Something like this??

(My "fonts" are not very professional)

Regards

Jochen

www.ant-ares.de

Message 7 of 9
ivan_stojici

Dear John,

Have exact same problem, did you able to find any solution for this?

Message 8 of 9
Patchy
in reply to: ivan_stojici

Attach what you got and have a look.

(John doesn't reply anymore, he works somewhere else)

Message 9 of 9
leeminardi
in reply to: ivan_stojici

Below is a sample of the AutoCAD font scripts.shx.   After adding the text I exploded it with Express Tools, Explode.  I changed the color to white or red of individual polylines that were the result of the explode.  As you can see several letters, or parts of letters, were combined into single polylines. I think this is the best you can do for a font that combines some letter into single strokes.

leeminardi_0-1674773541143.png

I'm not sure that is is worth the effort but you could edit the resulting exploded text to reduce the number of polylines.  For example,

leeminardi_0-1674773919693.png

lee.minardi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report