Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic seal options

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
VEI1949
958 Views, 6 Replies

Electronic seal options

Is there a way to do an electronic engineering seal to insert into a drawings without scanning one and inserting it into the drawing? Some of our engineers are licensed in multiple states. The standards can be different from one to the next. For years, we have been scanning a signed stamp and then inserting it into a drawing. The drawback to this is that one engineer may have to sign his stamp for everyday of that week, meaning we have to scan 5 different signed stamps. Having a generic signed stamp and then inserting the date is not an option since different states have different requirements even for the placement of the dates. I'm hoping to find something where they can digitally sign it, save it, and then have the CAD person insert that file onto the drawing. Or is there such a thing?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TheCADnoob
in reply to: VEI1949

We got away from signing in DWGs because we frequently forgot to remove the PE stamps from the DWGs before issuing them after we IFC the project. When we did that we used CAD-based geometry (basically the stamp was created in CAD as block).  We moved to a PDF-based stamping procedure so that our PE's stamps weren't just floating out there in random DWGs.

We apply our stamps with our PDF editor. We create a generic PDF Stamp for Each state that meets their needs and dates are applied at the time of stamping with dynamic PDF stamps. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
VEI1949
in reply to: TheCADnoob

It's a pre-signed and pre-dated stamp where the date can be edited once it's inserted?

Message 4 of 7
RSomppi

I've also had stamps get out inadvertently when sharing .dwgs and switched to stamping in PDFs.

Message 5 of 7
TheCADnoob

It's presigned, but the date is dynamic. That means the seal and the PE signature stays the same and the date gets entered at the time of stamping. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
VEI1949
in reply to: TheCADnoob

I'd like to see what one of those looks like.

Message 7 of 7
TheCADnoob

These will vary depending on your stamping software. If you are using something like Bluebeam Revu you can use their dynamic stamp tools. If you are using something like Adobe, you will have to use JavaScript to handle the Dynamic functions. (An example of the JavaScript can be seen <here>)

I've attached an example. The stamp was created in AutoCAD and then exported to PDF. Once in the PDF format, you will have to use your pdf editor of choice to get the stamp to behave dynamically. 

In Bluebeam Revu, the &[Date] handles the date at the time of the stamp

TheCADnoob_0-1684858293699.png

In adobe the script handles it. 

TheCADnoob_1-1684858407959.png

CADnoob

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report