Editing Layout's Title Blocks Individually

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3594 Views, 4 Replies

Editing Layout's Title Blocks Individually

Hello,

I am working on some drawings that have the same title block, but need different individual titles and page numbers within this block.  My issue is when I try to change a drawing/layouts title or page number, all the other layouts titles or page numbers change, as well.  Does anyone know how to fix this, so editing one title block does not edit every title block?

Thank you,

Aaron 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to use attributes instead of text within your titleblock.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Okay, I'm still having a little trouble with this. I copied the title
block from another .dwg file into paper space. Can I edit this block and
replace the respective text with an attribute, or will I need to recreate
the block entirely? I've been struggling with this, so I appreciate your
help.
Message 4 of 5
kasperwuyts

The definition of a block is stored in the DWG itself.
If you have two different DWG drawing files, and if you have the 'Title block' - block (for lack of a better term) in both of them, and change it only in one of the drawing files, then it won't change inside the other DWG. However, if you don't change the name of the block definition, then copying the blocks between those drawings won't work. It will always use the block definition that is already stored inside the DWG you copy it to. So it is definitely best practice to rename a block if you edit it.

To Autocad, there's not really a difference between renaming a block and recreating it entirely. There is also a 'save as...' option inside the block editor which lets you copy the block definition inside the DWG under a different name.

So if today is a lazy day in which you rather do some repetitive brainless work instead of learning a few things about attributes, you could just copy the block definition for each layout under a different name and change it accordingly.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

If the text are attributes, double-click on them to edit.
If the text are TEXT objects, use REFEDIT command to edit that text.

Let us know what exactly remains a challenge: might help if you share that DWG file here if needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report