Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eattext extracted schedule onto tool palette

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dtiemeyer
388 Views, 4 Replies

eattext extracted schedule onto tool palette

I have a dynamic block that can stretch to increase its length. I can extract all the instances of that block and put into the drawing as a table also report the unique length values, EATTEXT can be used for this. But what I want to do is create a tool palette button that will automatically place a table like this into the drawing, so that my users dont have to step through the EATTEXT command.  But it seems I cannot script it. Does anybody have a way to automate this?

I also have AutoCAD MEP, so I could use a schedule, but I cannot find a way to get at the dynamic block values via Property Set Definitions.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.vellek
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Hi @dtiemeyer,

Can you attach a sample of what you have done (tried so far) and the drawing too? I would like to think that this is possible and I would like to take a look at this for you.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 5
dtiemeyer
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

Here is the CAD file and associated .DXE. Again, I want to emphasize that the 'data extraction' is working, its the 'automation' that I cannot figure out how to work out. I want to be able to put whatever settings are necessary onto our network standards folder and use a Tool Palette icon to make a '1 click' data extraction within the current drawing.

Thank you for looking at this.

Dustin

PS, this site does not allow for upload of .DXE so I changed the extension to .BMP, please change it back to .DXE to use.

Message 4 of 5
john.vellek
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Hi @dtiemeyer,

I am thinking this might be a two step process without involving some coding. I would approach this by inserting an invisible attribute into your block that captures the length of the light fixture. Your macro would perform a regenall to update the fields, then using a data extraction template you can select the block you want to count, the layer it resides on then record the attribute value.  This would all be written to an external table. Then you would have a second macro to bring the table into your drawing. I have not built any of this because I am unsure if this would be any faster than what you are doing now.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 5
dtiemeyer
in reply to: john.vellek

ok, thank you for your thoughts John. I'll leave this open for anybody else to contribute that might have other suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta