Dynamic Block for Elevation mark to display elevation coordinate

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bull504
6626 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic Block for Elevation mark to display elevation coordinate

Hey Everyone, 

I have tried messing with this some but i have not been able to get it completley, hoping i can get some guidance. 

We use a block for elevation marks (off of sea level, finished floor, etc...). it is a basic block that we manually enter the elevation measurement in archetural units and what it is in reference to. What I am trying to do is to take the human element out and see if there is a way to set the elavation attribute to automatically populate with Y-Coordinate value of the block within the drawing either in reference to the UCS or by entering a specific zero point (Many of these elevations start at 100'-0" or along those lines.) It would be nice to be able to set the first mark as a start elevation and then others above it would reference it, but i believe it would be easier( if it is possible) to just use the UCS and set the origin below the drawing, seeing as how we don't use it to draw this won't affect anything.

I am attaching the block for reference,

Thanks

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Dave_S
in reply to: bull504

What you need to do is to convert the attribute to a Field. Then edit the field to link to an object on the block at the elevation you want. Then check only the Y coordinate in the field editor dialog box as shown here:

Field.png

Also I included the block I use for this note however there is also a forlmula attached to it to convert units to meters. You can edit it accordingly, if you are familiar with the field editor.

Message 3 of 7
bull504
in reply to: Dave_S

Thanks this was helpful, took some playing around to find the right point to referece to on the block. I got the field set up and got it to display. It only updates when i move the move the block then do a regen. 

However, when i move the ucs to down to the point i need, the field still displays the original position, and i do have my coordinate settings to follow the UCS. How can i get this to update?

Message 4 of 7
Dave_S
in reply to: bull504

Sorry, this only works reletive to the world cordinate system. You could adjust the formula to compensate for the offset but why bother when you can just update the attribute manually. In other words if you change your UCS you are back at square 1.

Message 5 of 7
Dave_S

Autodesk should add a feature for fields whereby there is a checkbox for determining whether coordinates are to be displayed relative to the current UCS or not.
Message 6 of 7
Dave_S

In the mean time after putting everything in place (UCS elevation block etc.) you could W block the whole drawing (model space only). Then when you go into the new drawing your UCS becomes the WCS and your blocks should read correctly.

Message 7 of 7
bull504

I will probably just enter this one in manually, but i will keep it in mind for a bigger project whereI'll need 40 different tags to keep everything relevant to the WCS. Just something i wanted to impliment for ease and reduce the risk of a typo. 

Thanks for the insight Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report