SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1947 Views, 5 Replies

-DWGUNITS

Hello,

Can I start off by saying, I think I fully understand the following(INSUNITS):

But where does -DWGUNITS fit in?

I understand that DWGUNITS sets the units that are being used in the current drawing, but when you change the DWGUNITS it gives you an option to match the INSUNITS to the DWGUNITS and whether or not you want to scale upon insertion.

So does this then mean if you choose "yes" for these two options that this overrides whatever INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET are set to? If these commands are all set to unitless, that should mean objects are not scaled when inserting, but when setting the DWGUNITS, there is no unitless option and so therefore if you press "yes", does it override what INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET are set to.

Below I've shown a table giving the results I obtained when trying to find an answer to this question and why doesn't setting "Scale other objects from other drawings upon insert: Y/N" to No have any effect. I've also attached the 2 drawings I've used, no.1 is the source drawing for the block and no.2 is the drawing I tried inserting it into.

Any help greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

IUB = INSUNITS of Block
IUS = INSUNITSDEFSOURCE
IUT = INSUNITSDEFTARGET
IUD = INSUNITS of Drawing

DU = DRAWING UNITS

SOI = Scale other objects from other drawings upon insert: Y/N

MCI = Mettre en corresponsdance Insunits et les uités de dessin: Y/N

SEI = Scale existing objects in current drawing: Y/N

Block is non annotive & is a circle radius 20 units, its source drawing has drg units set to mm (via -dwgunits).

1 = “, 4 = mm; 6 = m,

IUB

IUS

IUT

IUD

DU

SOI

MCI

SEI

Result

3, mm

Y

N

Y

r = 0,02mm

3, mm

N

N

Y

r = 0,02mm

3, mm

Y

N

N

r = 0,02mm

3, mm

N

N

N

r = 0,02mm

6, m

N

N

N

r = 20m

6, m

Y

N

N

r = 20m

6, m

Y

N

N

r = 20m

6, m

Y

Y

N

r = 20m

6, m

Y

Y

Y

r = 20m

6, m

N

Y

Y

r = 20m

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

>>>>...So does this then mean if you choose...<<<<
>>>...does it override...<<<
Did you actually try it? What did you discover? That's the answer you seek. Go on, do it now, there is nothing to break, nothing is going to blow up 😉
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, but I think you can have only read the first part of my post,  there is the following paragraph in the post too :

"Below I've shown a table giving the results I obtained when trying to find an answer to this question and why doesn't setting "Scale other objects from other drawings upon insert: Y/N" to No have any effect. I've also attached the 2 drawings I've used, no.1 is the source drawing for the block and no.2 is the drawing I tried inserting it into."

Just to show that I've had a go at trying to resolve the issue and maybe highlight to someone who is willing to help what I've missed or misunderstood.

It would be nice if you could have a go and really try and answer the question; I'd really apprecate it. I'm sure you will be able to help if you care to read the post. I'd love to find out what stupid thing I've been missing or misunderstanding and I have every confidence you're the person to point it out, - go for it!

If you can't just say so.

(ps you've already suggested visiting help pages regarding Insunits et al - been there done that, still doesn't answer the question)

Message 4 of 6
pendean

No, I did not miss it, I was hoping you'd realize you answered your own questions but testing again and coming up with the same results. Your findings are what we all are going to find and experience as well.

Are you trying to solve a particular issue in a particular drawing? Or is this more of an academic search?

There is a good reason -DWGUNITS command was hidden for years and years in HELP, it's not used for setting up a new template file as much as it is a shortcut roundabout fix to an existing file that does not really do much longterm problem solving if you ignore that variables you are keen to use.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

OK, thank you.

I think you've given me a glimmer of understanding.

(1) "There is a good reason -DWGUNITS command was hidden for years and years in HELP, it's not used for setting up a new template file as much as it is a shortcut roundabout fix to an existing file that does not really do much longterm problem solving if you ignore that variables you are keen to use."

Allright then, the option "Scale other objects from other drawings upon insert: Y/N" under this -dwgunits command, has no effect whatsoever - and as you stated, I wouldn't belive my own results, so it's nice to have your confirmation.

From now, I will rely soley on setting up:  INSUNITS of Block, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, INSUNITSDEFTARGET, INSUNITS of Drawing, DRAWING UNITS & not worry about "Scale other objects from other drawings upon insert: Y/N", at all....

(2) "Are you trying to solve a particular issue in a particular drawing? Or is this more of an academic search?"

I'm a self employed electrician and I will try to use Autocad for drawing up houses and the electrical circuits I install in them and so, I'm getting  to grips with some of its fundamentals. Longer term I would like to use it to draw up my own self build house.

I've bottomed this out because I don't want to to start creating complex drawings, in which I will be inserting blocks regularly, and not be sure that they will come in as expected or potentially "write off a drawing"  leaving me scrabbling around for hours to get it back to "shape" when I should be on site, generally with the client breathing over my shoulder, bringing the project in on time.

Message 6 of 6
TCCS-Admin

Thank you for all the effort you went into sharing your findings. As someone recently coming back to AutoCAD the scale factor inserting blocks was very frustrating. I was aware of INSUNITS but not the other ones you shared.

I even tried Copilot yesterday and all it suggested was INSUNITS which made no difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report