Duplicate definition of block....ignored

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
8401 Views, 25 Replies

Duplicate definition of block....ignored

Hello,

I have tried to PURGE, AUDIT and -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD, but I still cannot copy and paste. I get an error: "Duplicate definition of block....ignored."
Here is a link to the files I want copy and paste on other drawings.

I'm stuck, need help!

All the best

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
neaton
in reply to: Anonymous

It isn't an error message it is an informational message. Your copy/paste objects are being inserted into the drawing. Block "X" is a block used in both drawings. It is inserted with the first copy/paste elements. When the second copy/paste elements are inserted into the drawing AutoCAD is telling you that block "X is already defined in the drawing. It is not telling you it won't be inserted.

Nancy

@Anonymous wrote:

I am using the insert command. That does not solve anything, it makes no difference to the drawing. Still getting the same error message.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

@chriscowgill7373wrote:

Clear out your %temp% folder

Beyond that, what it is telling you is the block you are copying and pasting already exists in the new drawing and that it won't update the definition based on the new pasting.  if you are trying to update a block definition, you'll have to use the INSERT command

Please tell...  Where the %Temp% is commonly located.  And why does any block not automatically update the block definition.  Where can I find the Variables to auto accept any block definition in CADD.  This is quite frustrating.  because It works on y machine but, not my drafter's Machine. and we both have the same O.S.  Any help for this would be greatly appreciated.

Message 23 of 26
robert06

The error 

Message 24 of 26
MaccyDee

Reviving a dead topic, but no-one seems to have an actual fix apart from "fix it".

If you've tried all the normal ways of fixing a drawing (purge, audit, exporttoautocad, copy into new dwg file) to no avail, then this might help you.

I encountered this issue today and after a bit of playing around with copying various parts of the drawing, I found that a block had a pdf underlay defined in it that had been removed but not purged before being made into a block, somewhere, somehow that pdf underlay was blown up to many times the size of the solar system and wasn't showing in the main drawing (this explains why a simple floor plan drawing was 115mb).

Save a copy of the drawing you're trying to copy from, open it and explode everything (run it 4 or 5 times), select everything using ctrl + a and then hold shift and deselect what you can see/what you want to copy, this will hopefully leave a couple of grip points selected, open the properties tab and find what the issue is, or simply delete the buggy entities, you might have to do this a couple of times

another issue i found during my investigations, there was a dimension style loaded that had the oblique set as their arrowheads, however they were a custom definition of an oblique, which i assume also contained the autocad oblique shape definition, i changed the arrowhead style to the regular autocad oblique and purged, solved the "duplicate definition of block _oblique ignored" warning.

Message 25 of 26
cintia_gesualdi

type ANNOALLVISIBLE and enter the new value <1>

Message 26 of 26
cintia_gesualdi

Just type ANNOALLVISIBLE and enter the new value <1>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta