Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTEXT/MTEXT underline Gap

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Light_Guy
389 Views, 7 Replies

DTEXT/MTEXT underline Gap

It seems this is a repeated issue over the last 20 years. I have been searching for an answer as to how adjust the gap between the underline and the text. A thread from 19 years ago for AutoCAD 2000 revealed that the line was too close and they needed to move it down a bit. More recently, folks have been asking why the line is now so far away from the text, often landing right on top of the text on the next line. For 20 years folks have been asking how to adjust this spacing, can we PLEASE get some help on this?? Changing fonts is not an option. We used MONOTXT for years (this was a problem) and have now switched to TT font CONSOLAS and its still an issue. Line Spacing does not help this either. Basically, for 20 years, the answer has been you get what you get, live with it. Please give us a variable that we can set to put that line where we need it. 

If I have missed an anwer to this somewhere, please let me know. 

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Light_Guy

You missed nothing. AutoCAD has never changed over the decades.

You select a font/font type, and stick with it forever if consistency is very important to you all.
Message 3 of 8
PEVO_Drafter

This is quite sad to me. I'm just coming back to AutoCAD after 15 years with Microstation. I regularly spaced my underline/overline equally between lines with an offset amount in my cells (blocks). That AutoCAD still doesn't do this after 20 years is amazing. It's a must-have feature for electrical drawings. Having to constantly adjust a separate line to the proper length of the text attribute is time consuming. This is almost as sad as Inventor not auto-saving.

Message 4 of 8
pendean
in reply to: PEVO_Drafter

@PEVO_Drafter wrote:

This is quite sad to me....

... It's a must-have feature for electrical drawings...

Is this a need better served using core tools in variants like AutoCADMEP or AutoCADELECTRICAL? Both programs are free to install and use by any AutoCAD subscriber (aka currently paying Autodesk) and both has specific target industries underserved by plain AutoCAD.

HTH

Message 5 of 8
PEVO_Drafter
in reply to: pendean

Can you adjust underline or overline spacing with either of those?

Message 6 of 8
TomBeauford

Many lower case letters and other characters extend further up and down than others so AutoCAD adjusts those lines further up and down to avoid issues like: ↕gq² unlike this page.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 7 of 8
pendean

@PEVO_Drafter wrote:

Can you adjust underline or overline spacing with either of those?

Don't know, I'm not in your industry and have no such need, but many of your peers use one or the other: find out yourself.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 8
RobRocks

@PEVO_Drafter wrote:

It's a must-have feature for electrical drawings.

I did electrical for nearly 20 years and never had a need for it. You've just been spoiled by having the option available and learned to rely on it. When switching platforms you often have to make adjustments to workflows developed with other programs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report