Did you mean: 

drawing a centrifugal pump impeller

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
5358 Views, 11 Replies

Hi folks, 

I have a centrifugal pump impeller that I'm trying to reverse engineer and draw in AutoCAD to make mold for refabricating.  The issue I'm having is how to measure the dimensions out of this impeller.  I don't have any gauges. and I've tried to come up with the dimensions mathematically, but it seems like there's multiple curves to the item.    

So.....my question is, is there any way to trace it, Or are there any other method that you could suggest?

Eventually I want to be able to draw three projections and a section for this impeller

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Salam Amr,

Welcome to Autodesk Forum...

if do you want to trace an image - as i understand from your post- you can do it by converting your centrifugal pump impeller to an IMAGE by scanning or any other available way. then you can insert it as XREF image have any below extension (see attached image) 

insert.png

you can get this by typing Xref command line and pressing DWG icon as shown above. after you insert the image:

- maybe you need to SCALE it to reach for proper dimensions.

- draw over the image as you need.

Good Luck..

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

I guess ur way isn't a perfect way to get an accurate drawing of the impeller.

The reason for drawing th impeller in the first place is manufacture anothe impeller working perfectly as the original.

so i need to draw the impeller using diminsions and equations of curves.

the problem is I can't get thise diminsions and eqns out of the excisting impeller.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Sounds like you need to purchase (or rent or hire a firm that specializes in it) the proper tools for measuring the pump impeller at a high accuracy level: accuracy is key and you seem to be trying to find some generic photographic magic-wand that is only going to be, well, barely accurate in the end.

You can try freeware and low cost solutions like 123D from Autodesk, or purchase/rent exceptionally high end point-cloud model generating software paired with the proper hardware (and the knowledgeable staff to run it all) as alternates.
Message 5 of 12
TheCADnoob

as penden mention 123D catch Its simple, though ive never seen any precision work with it but it may be close enough to get a starting sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsBg-m2hrIM

A
lso there are smaller laser scanners as well http://us.xyzprinting.com/us_en/Product/3D-Scanner?gclid=CK2L8f2fscsCFRMlgQodWi0IsA

Is it possible to send the impeller to the fabricator? they may have the technology and expertise to reproduce your part.

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Thank u guys for helping me

but my concern isn't about get a 3d model for the impeller.

i just need to to draw projections and sections of the impeller like drawings below.

my issue is getting dimentions out of impeller to draw like these also i am not fully know the orders using to draw curves (if happend that i have the contour equation) like curves in drawings below

thank u again Smiley Happy

imp 1.PNGimp 2.PNGimp 3.PNG

Message 7 of 12
TheCADnoob

From the 3D model you can create the sectional views you are needing. This has the added benefit or exactly replicating the manufactures part. 

If you want just the views you listed do what @imadHabash suggested. 

take pictures. import them to CAD. trace pictures.

EXTERNALREFRENCE

trace1.png

attach image

trace2.png

Trace image. You can use PLINE or SPLINE depending on the needs of the part. Take advantage of symmetry where you can and mirror image or break it into quarters or eights what ever the design will allow. 

trace3.gif

enjoy

trace4.png

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

Thank you guys

really you gave me a great help

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

If it were my work - I would use Autodesk Inventor rather than Autodesk AutoCAD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 12
TheCADnoob

If you are satisfied with the solution please mak it as solved so that others in the future can use it. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADnoob

Sry guys

no one tell me a practical solution for what i am asking about

i promise, when i find the solution

i' will share it with you

thank you verry very much

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta