Did you mean: 

Dimensions Read from Wrong Direction?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
doni49
6000 Views, 8 Replies

Dimensions Read from Wrong Direction?

For some reason when I place a dimension that's not horizontal, Acad wants to make it read from the left side of the sheet (see the image).  I need it to read from the RIGHT side of the sheet.

DimDirection2.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
doni49
in reply to: doni49

I found a setting under the Dimension properties that sorta helps but:

1. It seems like I shouldn't need to either make a new style for this or change the property overrides for dimensions like this.
  2. All this does is rotate the text 180 degrees -- but now it's "below" the dim line.

DimDirection.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 9
Patchy

I've seen it before but forgot why it was that way so I go around it with autolisp.

;;; FDT.LSP Flip Dimension Text
;;; Cadalyst Tips & Tools Weekly - April 7, 2008
;;; (c) Cadalyst and Stephen Grace, 2008
;;; by Stephen Grace

;;; Utility extracted from My Office Standardization Utilities
;;; Stephen Grace, Public Works and Government Services Canada, 2008
;;;===============================================================================
;;; Flip Dimension Text
;;; Fixes upside down dimension text
(defun FlipDimensionText (/ ss cnt EntName EntList)
(setq ss (ssget '((0 . "DIMENSION"))))
(setq cnt 0)
(while (< cnt (sslength ss))
(setq EntName (ssname ss cnt))
(setq EntList (entget EntName))
(entmod (subst (cons 51 (- (abs (cdr (assoc 51 EntList))) PI)) (assoc 51 EntList)EntList))
(entupd EntName)
(setq cnt (1+ cnt))
)
)
(defun C:FDT () (FlipDimensionText))
;(princ "\nFlip Dimension Text, Type FDT to run.")

Message 4 of 9
doni49
in reply to: Patchy

Thanks.  At least I'll be able to finish my plan AND have it look right too.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 9
steve216586

Is the screen shot taken from a viewport? I've seen it where it will switch if the angle of rotation, within a viewport, is past a certain number of degrees.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Is there any possibility that those horizontal lines are not exactly horizontal? If either the lines or the dimension are rotated even a fraction of a degree counter clockwise it would show like that.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

One easy way to get your dimension oriented the way you want is to rotate the UCS around the z-axis 180 degrees before placing the dimension.

Message 8 of 9
doni49
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks but that'll never happen here.  We DO NOT rotate the UCS.  And even doing it temporarily runs the risk of forgetting to change it back.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

@doni49 wrote:

Thanks but that'll never happen here.  We DO NOT rotate the UCS.  And even doing it temporarily runs the risk of forgetting to change it back.

Yeah, I was going to add a cautionary caveat.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta