Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions disappearing

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
10512 Views, 15 Replies

Dimensions disappearing

I recently installed AutoCAD 2016 64-bit, and I found a bug with dimensions disappearing.  I had multiple drawings open.  I switched to one drawing, did some work, then came back later to original dwg.  When I did that, all DIMENSION objects were gone.  Other objects on my DIM layer were still there, including text and LEADER objects.  Only DIMENSION objects were gone.  So I put the dimensions back in and kept on working.  It did the same thing for 2 other drawings.  Then I re-opened one of these drawings and found I had double dimension objects.  So, what actually happened was that they were  there, and I could not see them.  All I have to do is save, re-open, and the dimensions are all there.  The question is why this is happening.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you unintentionally hide them with HIDEOBJECTS command?
Or did you try a REGEN or REGENALL?
Can you repeat the problem at will?

Do you need to change hardware acceleration in 2016 (GRAPHICSCONFIG command) to tame your video card with 2016 perhaps?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

1) I did not hide anything
2) I did try REGEN. It is just a model space drawing.
3) I cannot repeat the problem. It seems to be very random.
4) It is not a graphics card issue.
5) The company I do most of my contract work for has had the same issue on a few different computers, so I know it?s not a computer specific issue. This company has also tried to recreate the problem but has not been able to.

Thanks,

Jeff Kinville
Message 4 of 16
pendean

I've never seen it in 20+ years unless you they've been hidden as I noted, layer turned off, or the annotative scale (if you use annotative dimensions) is not set correctly. If you think of something else that we other end users might be able to replicate here do let us know.

Next time it happens to you, invoke REGENALL then UNISOLATEOBJECTS commands and see if they reappear. Closing and reopening the file resets the latter and it is what you are describing so far as I can tell.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 16
ampster40

This does sound graphics related, what have you done to confirm it is not related?
Message 6 of 16
m_kingdon

Are these normal dimensions or Annotive dimensions?

I often find annotive dimensions hiding from me, when in reality it is just the scale being set wrong and the dimensions are either x1000 too small or x1000 to big.

Mike Kingdon
Civil 3D Zealot

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: m_kingdon

1) These are normal dimensions

2) In regards to it being graphics related, I have not confirmed this. However, my computer and a few others at another company are different computers with different graphics cards. Also, it is only DIMENSION objects (not LEADERS or any other type of objects on my DIM layer). Could a non-compatible graphics card make only DIMENSION objects disappear?

Thanks,

Jeff Kinville
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: m_kingdon

1) These are normal dimensions

2) In regards to it being graphics related, I have not confirmed this. However, my computer and a few others at another company are different computers with different graphics cards. Also, it is only DIMENSION objects (not LEADERS or any other type of objects on my DIM layer). Could a non-compatible graphics card make only DIMENSION objects disappear?

Thanks,

Jeff Kinville
Message 9 of 16
Pothman

Can you share a drawing with some of the dimensions so we can look at the dimensions in question? Are the dimensions vanishing in Model Space or in a Paper Space viewport? Also, it would be worth checking the drawings for corruption. Type AUDIT at the command line and have it fix any errors that it finds. 

Dave Pothier

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Pothman

1) I will share one as soon as the next one happens
2) They are simply Model Space 2D drawings
3) We have tried AUDIT, REGENALL, and UNISOLATE objects.
4) The only thing that brings them back is to Re-Open the dwg.
5) Did you get the images that I sent for the disappear and move issues?
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Pothman

Well, after all of that, I finally figured it out.  The company I work for has a VB.NET application for their Bill of Material system.  After executing this program and closing it, the next time I do a REGEN makes all the dimensions disappear.  All I know is this same program was working fine in Acad 2012.  They recompiled it for 2016, and now it is causing this problem.  I will contact them tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Thanks,

Jeff Kinville

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

I'm having the same problem with AutoCAD 2015 for Mac.  I spent about 8 hours doing three floors of dimensions, and poof, they're gone.  I've tried everything.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

The cause of my dimensions disappearing was due to a VB.NET application that was created by my client. He fixed the application and now everything is fine. I don’t know the exact fix. All I know is that it was due to this application. When we had the problem, all we had to do is save and re-open the dwg for them to reappear.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks. That isn’t my problem, and I’ve done the save and reopen a couple of time. Thanks again. Carol Seiler, Student ASID Certified Feng Shui Practitioner, WWC Certified Fashion Feng Shui Facilitator, FFS Beyond The Closet Door 612.670.9304 www.beyondtheclosetdoor.com
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Hey,

I know this is an old topic but i just came across the same issue on mine. Was driving me mad until I found that the dims layer was different to my current layer (a feature since 2015 i think) and turned out that one was turned off. I'm sure you may of found a solution to this as seen as its been a year but figured id post my find in case this issue happens to another person

Message 16 of 16
RedMan77

Didn't see an actual resolution so I thought I'd throw my two cents in.  I had the same issue and am unsure why the dimensions disappeared but figured out how to make my dimensions come back.  The only difference with my scenario is my drawing started in Revit, then exported to CAD.  Long story short, I was required everything for everything in my CAD file needed to be on one designated layer (including dims).  Saved, then closed.  When I re-opened the drawing again, all the dimensions were gone.  The dims were not on another layer, not hidden, not frozen, not associative (off), not on some crazy Z axis.  Crossing window or a Regenall didn't reveal any hidden dims.  

So what I did was draw a new dimension.  Right click and choose select similar.  All the dims blue grips of where my missing dims were popped up but the dims were still not visible.  With the dims still selected, I changed the scale to 96 in the properties palette and they all re-appeared.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report