Dimension text modifier \X leaves stray \

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
wai1954
1423 Views, 17 Replies

Dimension text modifier \X leaves stray \

G'day,

This is a strange one.

If I want to add additional text after having places a dimension by using the \X modifier to put the text below the dimension line, the added text goes below the dimension line, but a stray \ gets left behind after the dimension. Editing the dimension again, but doing nothing other than accepting it sees the ] disappear.

I am using a SHX font and it is not font dependent.

Any ideas???

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pendean
in reply to: wai1954

Show us your DWG portion with the problem.

Message 3 of 18
wai1954
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:

Show us your DWG portion with the problem.

Ok, Here is a partial screen capture AVI file showing the sequence. I hope it comes through.

Well, the best way to send this was as an wmv clip, after all, it would show the sequence, but this forum does not allow it.

There's more one way to skin a cat 😄

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 4 of 18
inchul.lee

Hi Ian,

Thanks for sharing the screencapture. By the way, you can try Autodesk Screencast next time to easily capture and share it. Smiley Very Happy

I would suggest you check Text override property to verify what's really being entered. Do you also get the same result if you directly modify from the property?

2016-02-17_1321.png

Please share it and we can take a deeper look.

Thanks.

Inchul Lee
Message 5 of 18
wai1954
in reply to: inchul.lee

Ok, thanks for that.

Looking through the properties palette for an offending dimension, it does have a double backslash, however I have only typed it once. This is why I did it as a video to show that it was not that I had double-typed it.

Looking through the DIMVARS, the style does show DIMPOST as \X, however I cannot see this in the Dimension Style Manager. I know that it may be a carry over from AutoCAD 2006 where this was not an issue. It was only used when there were alternate units shown. When alternate units were not shown, this caused no issues at all. It has to be in the primary inits tab as otherwise it appears inside the [ ] where the alternate units would be shown.

Where abouts in the Dimension Style Manager do you change DIMPOST as otherwise it becomes a DIMSTYLE with overrides? In the Primary Units tab, both prefix and suffix are blank, and in the Alternate Units tab, the prefix is blank and the suffix is ".

I will have to look into Autodesk Screencast.

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 6 of 18
pendean

DWG file with the problem present please Ian.

Message 7 of 18
wai1954

@pendean wrote:

DWG file with the problem present please Ian.

Ok, here goes. I have had to cut things out, but it shows the problem. I had to check with my client as the drawing did have sensitive material. If you just check DIMPOST at the Command: prompt, it will tell you that it is \X, but the dimension style manager will show up as blank when you check the units (primary and alternate).

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 8 of 18
pendean

I treisd to follow the iinstructions, perhaps I missed something? See screencast

http://autode.sk/1KWYzgj

Message 9 of 18
wai1954

The thing is that simply TEXTEDIT and doing nother than ending the edit changing nothing will see the stray \ removed.

What you need to do is place a new dimension and then TEXTEDIT it so that you add say \XTEST after the default text. This should see a stray \ after the top line. Inspect the dimension properties and you will see that the Text override will be <>\\XTEST (note the \\). Now run TEXTEDIT again, and just end the text edit without changing anything, and the stray \ will be gone and inspecting the dimension properties and you will find it is <>\XTEST.

The linked issue is that if you enter DIMPOST, you will see it is \X. Cancel the entry so nothing has changed. run the Dimension Style Manager and inspect the primary units tab. Both the prefix and suffix will be blank when the suffix should be \X as it sets DIMPOST.

wai1954 (Ian A. White)
Message 10 of 18
inchul.lee

Hello,

For the audience's information, I'm in touch with Ian to further investigate the reported symptom. I'll share the outcome here.

Thank you.

Inchul Lee
Message 11 of 18
bcheeseman
in reply to: inchul.lee

I have the stray \ when trying to use \X for text under the dimension line. Did you find a solution?

Message 12 of 18
dmfrazier
in reply to: bcheeseman

The "extra" \X is due to the alternate units setting in the Dim Style.

Using the DWG posted at msg #7, selecting the dim text in one of the "unedited" dims, you can see that there is already an "invisible" \X (carriage return) added to the dim text, which appears as a small grey square (lower-left):

dmfrazier_0-1680201922552.png

If you copy the dim text and paste it into MText, the \X shows up.

This is the DimStyle setting that appears to be causing this "bug" (compromise is probably more like it):

dmfrazier_1-1680202155955.png

If Alt Units is turned on, then the Placement setting is changed to the "After" option, and then Alt Units is turned back off and the DimStyle saved, the phantom carriage return disappears.

Message 13 of 18
wc2047

I'm bcheeseman using my personal email login. It is not related to Alt Units. When I type \X to place text under the line in some dimension styles it puts the \ above the line and shows the text (and no \ or X) below the line. If I make a new dimension style from scratch, or copy a well-behaved dimension from another drawing there is no problem. The problem occurs with some dimensions inherited with the drawing file.

Example: I type \XMin so that under the line it reads Min for minimum.  But what I get is 111.5\ above the line and Min below.

Message 14 of 18
dmfrazier
in reply to: wc2047

@wc2047 wrote:

I'm bcheeseman using my personal email login. It is not related to Alt Units. When I type \X to place text under the line in some dimension styles it puts the \ above the line and shows the text (and no \ or X) below the line. If I make a new dimension style from scratch, or copy a well-behaved dimension from another drawing there is no problem. The problem occurs with some dimensions inherited with the drawing file.

Example: I type \XMin so that under the line it reads Min for minimum.  But what I get is 111.5\ above the line and Min below.

The only thing I can suggest is to look deeply into the settings of the problematic dimension styles for dim prefix or dim suffix entries that might not be obvious, such as spaces or dots.

Message 15 of 18
pendean

Show us: share a DWG file with the issue present in it in multiple locations that you can create on demand, and if you are at your PC, share with us the pop-up from inside AutoCAD for ABOUT command please.
Message 16 of 18
wc2047
in reply to: dmfrazier

I found a workaround but not a fix.
I highlight the dimension and type into the Text override in Properties so it reads <>\XMin and then the dimensionis good.
If I then try to Match Properties to make other dimensions take on this same behavior nothing happens.

Message 17 of 18
dmfrazier

@wc2047 wrote:
If I then try to Match Properties to make other dimensions take on this same behavior nothing happens.

This is because the text override is not a property that can be matched.

dmfrazier_0-1713541245546.png

Message 18 of 18
DRAFTSMAN1947

DIMPOST SETTING IS THE PROBLEM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report