Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension settings for dimensions less than 0.5 with extended lines

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
827 Views, 8 Replies

Dimension settings for dimensions less than 0.5 with extended lines

I finished making some dimension styles, but when I use them in the drawing, the dimensions below .50 have an extended line on the right and left sides, as seen in the image: https://imgur.com/a/wo0ip92 

What would be the best way to make them the same? I want to remove these extended lines on both sides in the lower dimensions.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

Extend Beyond Dim Lines. You can control the 'length' of that extension by adjusting the number highlited in red. To eiliminate the extensions, decrease the value to 0 (zero).

1.png

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

My extend beyond ticks is already disabled, set to 0 and I can't change it

Image: https://imgur.com/nZhPbJR

Message 4 of 9
Kent1Cooper

That's the "tail" of your arrowhead Block called BOLA, which must be defined as something like this:

BOLAarrow.PNG

When the arrows get kicked outboard, pointing inward if they are pointing-like shapes, by the relationship between dimension measurement and arrowhead size, their tails aim out like that.

You could shorten that tail in the Block definition, but if that's all  you do, in Dimensions with the arrowheads inside, you'll probably get gaps between the arrowhead tails and the dimension lines, because where the dimension line starts is based on that 1-drawing-unit aspect of the arrowhead Block.  I suggest you change the Block definition to something like this, with the dot [for example -- you can experiment with the ratio] twice as big:

BOLAarrow2.PNG

and the rightward extension of the Line part as long as the leftward tail part of it, and reduce the arrowhead size  in the Dimension Style to half of what it currently is.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 9
ChicagoLooper

Are you using a custom arrow in your dimension style?

Go to the settings of your Style and upload a screenshot of the tab named Symbols and Arrows.

2.png

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@ChicagoLooper wrote:

Are you using a custom arrow in your dimension style?

Go to the settings of your Style and upload a screenshot of the tab named Symbols and Arrows.

[There was one among the collective images in the Message 1 link.  That's where I got the Block name mentioned in Message 4.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I tried to do this, double the size of the radius of my circle in my block called BOLA, then decrease the arrow size in half, but still having the same problem. When I decrease the dimension, it extends the lateral lines.

I replaced my custom BALL block with an existing arrow called "Dot small", but even so, the problem remains.

Images2: https://imgur.com/a/fbpdkp2

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

In my first post I put ALL the photos of my dimension style settings

Message 9 of 9
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

I replaced my custom BALL block with an existing arrow called "Dot small", but even so, the problem remains.

It doesn't do that for me:
DimSmall.PNG

Might you have an altered definition of the _DotSmall Block?

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report