Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMBREAK Not Working on Multileaders or Dimension Extension line.

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
15003 Views, 27 Replies

DIMBREAK Not Working on Multileaders or Dimension Extension line.

I have set the Break Size for the dimension style and the Multileader Style and it only seems to work sometimes.  I have even tried to break via the manual selection of the 2 break points, but still no luck.  My styles are set to Annotative and I did not know if i am missing something or a variable that needs to be set.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
hencoop
in reply to: ramcharger318

Many times it is necessary for me to put the involved objects at zero elevation. It might work as well to make sure they have the same elevation (z-value), idk, I use an old trick in a macro that forces everything to zero. It is a double MOVE command. 1st) move the objects by displacement 0,0,10e99
2nd) move the objects by displacement 0,0,10e-99
This forces Autocad to set the z-values to zero because it cannot handle that range of z-values.
Idk how old this trick is but I’m pretty sure it has been around sine the 90s
It always works for me when DIMBREAK is being finicky.
AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 22 of 28
rene.garcia9KHY6
in reply to: Anonymous

I've noticed that dimensions are not effected by elevation differences when dealing with dim breaks, but Mleaders will quit working correctly if they are at a different elevation than zero elevation.

To verify what elevation the Mleader is on, just activate grips, hover the pointer above a grip and note what coordinate the coordinate numbers jump to for the z axis... (u do have the coordinate readout on, right? It's the first option on the triple line icon button, thingy that is on the end of the most bottom bar of autocad. Checking it will put the coodinates of the crosshair on the very front of the bottom bar.) ,if it's anything other than 0. the dimbreak is not going to work with that Mleader. (I'm sure there are other ways to verify the elevation of stuff, but it's what I use, since it only takes a glance.)

What I do is draw a line at zero elevation. 

Use the move command on your Mleader and osnap to the line you just created.

the elevation of the Mleader should now be at zero elevation.

Message 23 of 28
MaserAE

I've had this problem for years and one issue had to do if the dimensions were annotative.  If they weren't it worked.  However, I just discovered that my multi-leaders had a closed filled arrowhead while the dimensions on a certain style has architectural hashes.  I switched to a different dimension style that matched arrowheads to the multi-leaders and it worked.

Message 24 of 28
taylor_sarah8362

I had a similar issue with breaks not consistently working in my annotation styles. After some troubleshooting, I realized that the problem was with the scale settings in my dimension style. One handy tip is to keep a notepad handy to jot down the steps you've taken and any specific settings you've adjusted. This way, you can keep track of your troubleshooting process and easily refer back to it if needed.

Message 25 of 28
Routerman5000

Just had a work around trick prove useful, use the move command and snap the multi-leader to the dimension, then move it back where you need it,  Dimbreak now works.  Hope this helps

Message 26 of 28
hencoop
in reply to: Routerman5000

@Routerman5000 That seems to prove that divergent elevations are the cause of the problem.

Message 27 of 28
Routerman5000
in reply to: hencoop

Thats what I thought at first, but is not the case in my particular situation.  Side view shows everything is the same level, and the ID command tells me the M-Leader and Diminsion are both at Z=0

I will note that the problem seems to arise as I copy section drawings with dimensions into other drawings.

Message 28 of 28
hencoop
in reply to: Routerman5000

I have noticed that other misbehaving objects require either moving or copy & replace to get them to behave as expected.  Maybe this is one of those.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report