776 Views, 20 Replies

dim overrides

is there a way to save the dim overrides from one dwg to another

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

I would just create a new Dimstyle based on the overrides. Then, you can bring that dimstyle to any other drawing.  Is this what you are trying to do? If not, please give me more detail and perhaps a sample file to look at.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

standard w overrides is the style
but opening a new dwg I end up with standard with out overrides
Message 4 of 21
Kent1Cooper

I agree that more detail would be helpful.  Since every Dimension can have its own overrides [or none] separately from every other one, which one's overrides would you want to save?  I would assume that you mean the current state of overrides in the drawing, rather than those on a particular Dimension.  But there are so many Dimensioning variables that a transfer of all of them would be a tedious thing to set up, so I agree with @john.vellek that simply Saving the current combination to a new Dimension Style would be simpler.  However, you would have to do that in the source drawing before you could import it into another one.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous

right click on the <style overrides> in the style manage and select "SAVE TO CURRENT STYLE"  The current "Standard style" will be updated to include the overrides which can then be imported to other files using design center.  Or click on the <style overrides>, then click on NEW and enter a new name for the style.

Update style Standard (or the NEW style) in your templates and it will always be there

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

how do i import that dim style in newly opened dwgs

Message 7 of 21
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

how do i import that dim style in newly opened dwgs

With the Design Center [ADC command, or Ctrl+2].  Navigate in that to the source drawing, and pick on it, and Dimstyles is among the things you can bring into the current drawing from it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous

AS YOU INSESRT A BLOCK

CAN YOU INSERT DIM OVERRIDES IN DWGS THAT DONT HAVE THAT STYLE

INSTEAD OF CHANGING ONE BY ONE TO CREATE IT

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous

TEMPLATES
HOW TO GET THERE
I FOUND THE ADC
BUT STILL CANT GET THE STANDARD W/OVERRIDES TO SAVE
Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Did you RIGHT-CLICK on the <style overrides> and save it as current??dimstyleoverride.PNG

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

YES
STANDARD W/OVERRIDES IS CURRENT
SWITCHING DWG ENDS UP WITH STANDARD W NO OVERRIDES
Message 12 of 21
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:
YES
STANDARD W/OVERRIDES IS CURRENT
SWITCHING DWG ENDS UP WITH STANDARD W NO OVERRIDES

You want to Save to a new Style, different from Standard, that has the current settings [which are overrides in relation to the Standard Style] as part of its base definition.  Import that, not Standard, into different drawings.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous

CAN I LOAD THAT DIMSTYLE IN ANY DWG
WITHOUT INSERTING THE WHOLE DWG
Message 14 of 21
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:
CAN I LOAD THAT DIMSTYLE IN ANY DWG
WITHOUT INSERTING THE WHOLE DWG

Yes, with the Design Center.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

IM STUMPED ON HOW TO DO THAT
IV CREATED A COPY OF STANDARD W OVERRIDES
BUT IF ITS NOT IN A CURRENT DWG
I HAVE TO CHANGE EACH VARIABLE TO CREATE IT
I WANT TO JUST LOAD IT IN ANY DWG I WISH
NOT TAKE ALL THE TIME TO CHANGE EACH

Message 16 of 21
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I made a quick video that shows how to do this if I am understanding your question.

I open the file with the dimstyle that contains an override. I create a new dimstyle based on the override. I save my drawing and then open my other drawing. I go to Design Center, browse my first drawing and go to DimStyles. I drag in the Dimstyle I created and then I set it current.

Is this what you intend?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

I CANT DRAG IN THE DESIGN CENTER

I CAN RIGHT CLICK AND COPY OR ADD DIMSTYLES

WHEN I GO TO THE DWG IN THE DESIGN CENTER THAT DOSNT HAVE THE DIMSTYLE
AND RIGHT CLICK AND ADD DIMSTYLE TO DWG
NOTHING HAPPENS

Message 18 of 21
user181

In the dwg with the override style select a dimension you've created with the override and use copy from the ribbon. Open new dwg and use the paste command from the ribbon. The pasted dimension will have all the attributes of the one with overrides.

edit: To better clarify use the COPY TO CLIPBOARD (CTRL+C) in the original drawing and PASTE (CTRL+V) in the new drawing

EESignature

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

thank you john

our transaction was so helpful

i picked the solution button

email me if there is anything else

where do i go to explain what we did

Message 20 of 21
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

Creating the new style that incorporated your overrides was simple as described by many in this thread. The next step was to import the newly created style into your file. We did this (after an Audit and purge which found a bunch of errors) by using Design Center. We browsed one of the drawings where the new style resided and then dragged that new style into the drawing area of the screen in the new file. Once we did this we verified that the dimstyle was indeed imported.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta